Saturday Sacrament, September 5, 2009

Sisters and Brothers, while your Chocolate Priestess hopes you go back and comment on the World Chocolate Day Challenge, today is our Sacred Day in The Chocolate Cult, so I will reveal another potential Sacrament to you all. Back on May 16, 2009, I shared the joy achieved through the "Signature Collection" from Wiseman House Fine Chocolates. Today I will reveal the potential of their "Almond Toffee" to each of you.

Wiseman House Fine Chocolates sent The Chocolate Cult four products to try and then reveal to all of you, Sisters and Brothers. The "Almond Toffee" came in an 8 oz. bag with a plain paper label on it. The bag is sealed very well, so I just cut it open with scissors, which releases the light scent of milk chocolate and almonds. Inside are 6 non-uniform, large pieces of the toffee, each about the size of my palm, though each is shaped differently. On the back of the label is the ingredients list. This contains no artificial components, and the very first ingredient is Belgian chocolate. It also contains tree nuts, soy, and dairy, and may have traces of peanuts for those of you with allergies.

If you compare the pictures below, you will see both the outside and inside of these large toffee pieces. Outside they are covered with tiny pieces of almonds over the chocolate coating. Inside — I hope you can see this well enough — the bulk of each piece is a toffee center with more nuts, surrounded by a layer of milk chocolate, then topped with the nuts.











So these look great, they smell enticing, and I hope they please my other senses. Once a piece is broken open the primary scent is the toffee itself. When I pick up a piece it feels dry and bumpy from the nuts. Taking a bite, my mouth is filled with the buttery nuttiness of the toffee, while the cocoa recedes far into the background. There is a good flowing sugar rush as I eat it. It crunches as I chew, but it also practically melts in my mouth, so I let another bite just rest on my tongue. Allowing it to sit in my mouth releases more of the chocolate with a very slight cocoa buzz, and I can enjoy the textures of the nuts and toffee more fully. The nuts and toffee do not actually melt, so I must chew them. The best way to eat this is to just chew it slowly, savoring each crunch, the flavor, and the texture.

This is excellent toffee, but as has happened with all the toffees I've revealed here on the Saturday Sacraments, the chocolate is overpowered by the buttery almond flavor of the toffee. However, if you are looking for toffee, you should consider Wiseman among your options, because you will not be disappointed in the least. In other chocolate news, recently, Wiseman made it's one millionth truffle, and they are celebrating, so you may want to check that out as well as the "Almond Toffee."

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate. After you do, go back and leave a comment on the World Chocolate Day Challenge.

Comments

mavido79 said…
I do love toffee quite a bit so I'll have to try these at some point in the future.
Angie said…
Looks good, i love toffee.
Thank you both for commenting. They were delicious but not as chocolaty as I would like for the Cult.