A Gift of Frango

Your Chocolate Priestess had never heard of Frango mints before she received them as a gift from the Chocolate Coconut Acolyte more than a month after she officially took on that position of service to The Chocolate Cult.  I know, I know, some of you, Sisters and Brothers, are amazed and wondering "How can you not know Frango?"

Well, the Frango products, there is an entire line of them, were first created by the Frederick & Nelson department stores, then used in the Marshall Field and Company department store, and now only available in Macy department stores.  Where I grew up, none of these stores exited.  In fact it wasn't until 1994 or so that I saw a Macy's in person and we certainly could not afford to show there as we struggled to survive in New York City.  But the Milk Chocolate Acolyte had heard of these so I shared with my entire household.


I shared this: a 1.4oz box of the Frango "Dark Chocolate Mints".  No nutritional information came on the box but there was a list of ingredients.  All of the chocolate itself is natural but an emulsifier has been added, lecithin, and there is artificial vanilla flavoring along with partially hydrogenated soybean oil.  If you have allergies to milk or soybeans, this  is not for you.


Inside were four identical chocolate mints. I ate two and shared two.  They had a very thick layer of bittersweet chocolate all around the outside, so thick that it took more effort to bite into this than most chocolates I reveal to you all, Sisters and Brothers.  Inside was a surprisingly firm milk chocolate center.  The chocolate tasted good, a bit firm, but I was disappointed because the mint flavor was very light, I had to search for it and let each bite melt a bit before I could really taste it.  The Acolytes who tried these as well agreed that the mint was lacking.  It is a tricky business you know if you read The Chocolate Cult reviews and Sacramental revelations.  If you must have a non-chocolate flavor, it must be strong enough to be identified easily and yet it should never overwhelm the Sacred Substance itself.

I do want to thank the Chocolate Coconut Acolyte for this gift.  I hope that Macy's will read this and consider sending more offerings for us to reveal on The Chocolate Cult because I hope this one small example is not representative of the entire line they market.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments