National Chocolate Cupcake Day

National Chocolate Cupcake Day is October 18, 2009. That means TODAY, Sisters and Brothers.  Your Chocolate Priestess searched and search to try and find out how it began and how long it has been celebrated but found absolutely no information online on any of the sources I use for such research.  Instead I found a lot of recipes so I won't share one with you, only my minor adventures in making cupcakes yesterday for today.


As it so happens, I need to review several cookbooks and one of these had a homemade chocolate cupcake recipe I've never tried before.  I'll be reviewing that book, salty sweets, next week after I make two more recipes from it.  First I gathered my ingredients making a few substitutions for my family's health considerations.  Yup, that is part of my kitchen there that you'l see in this post.  It is a good sized kitchen but when I'm baking I wish I had more counter space.


I followed the directions exactly and the mix turned out very thick as you can see in this photo.  I was a bit concerned because when I use a cakemix to make cupcakes the batter looks much lighter and fluffier.  But then this reminded me of the werewolf cupcakes that were thicker for frosting and decorating sake.


The White Chocolate Acolyte was a big help to me as I made these.  He stirred the butter, oil and water mixture as it heated, got down some higher up ingredients, and then filled the cupcake pan.  Technically I know I shouldn't need the foil liners but I find that just placing the batter into the metal pan makes them stick unless you grease the pan -- less grease = better health around my household.

The cupcakes rose a bit but much like those werewolf ones these didn't double in size like I normally get from a mix.  They smelled very chocolaty though and rose enough that I could frost them.  The recipe in the book suggested this butterscotch icing but if you'll recall, Sisters and Brothers, I got this European Chocoblenz product last week and I wanted to try it on something else.  Since yesterday was a Sacramental Day for us all in The Chocolate Cult plus the birthday party for a friend, I decided to save some time and use that on these cupcakes.  I think they look good this way, the Chocoblenz was lighter than the cupcakes themselves and had that two-tone blend of the caramel and chocolate in it.  What do you think?

Verdict around my house is: These are very chocolaty and very good.  Right balance of moisture, sweetness, and chocolate.  The frosting idea was a pleasant taste that lingered after the cupcake.  HURRAY!

So, how did you celebrate National Chocolate Cupcake Day?  Drop us a comment and if you posted your own chocolate cupcake recipe somewhere else, I have no problem with you revealing that in your comments today. 

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

mavido79 said…
Woo Hoo! I was going to bake cookies today but now have changed my plans. It'll be Chocolate Idaho Cupcakes for us. Yum!
If you share that recipe somewhere, please let us know here on The Chocolate Cult.