Klondike Original Bar Review

Since July is "National Ice Cream Month" here in the USA, your Chocolate Priestess is going to do a higher number of ice cream reviews than she normally would do in a month.  As always I welcome your comments and would love to see a discussion break out among the followers.

Have you heard of a Klondike bar?  I won't quote the song from the commercials because of copyright issues but the odds are that if you live in the USA, over the years you've seen these commercials which show folks claiming they will do silly things for this frozen treat.  To the left you see the original bars in their six pack container. I found these on sale at our local Super Target when I popped in after my mall walking I do 2-3 times a week as part of my exercise regime.  Compared to similar treats you've buy at an ice cream shop, each bar is generally around 50¢ or so depending on sales and coupons.  So far this year I haven't seen any coupons in our local paper but it's been so hot and humid, these were on sale for about 42¢ a piece, and there is built in portion control since the bars are individually wrapped -- all that meant I considered it a good deal for my family.

One bar, I took a bite from this one all ready, has 250 calories, 11g saturated fat (that's really a lot!), 10mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, less than 1g fiber, 23g sugars, 3g protein, 6% vitamin A and 10% calcium you need daily.  This tasted much like I remembered from my childhood. The shell was fairly thick and chocolaty without tasting or feeling waxy.  It was cold but I could hold it in my hand and eat it while my other family members kept theirs partly wrapped.  If I bit somewhat carefully it didn't fall about until the final two bites.  It is a mess to eat this way but so what?  It cooled down my hands as well as my mouth and tummy and was fun to eat.  I can always wash my hands so getting a little messy is sometimes fun even if you are a responsible adult.

So far I've discovered 7 varieties of Klondike bars between this Super Target and our nearby Kroger, all on sale.  Yes, we did buy them and I'll be reviewing them throughout this month.

Tell me, Sisters and Brothers, do you like the original Klondike bar?  When was the last time you ate it?  How did you eat it?  Do you think it is worth the price?

Comments

mavido79 said…
It's been a month or so ago that I had Klondikes in the house. They were on sale, so I decided to indulge. My usual method is to keep them partially wrapped. I'm not so worried about my fingers as I am getting little pieces of chocolate everywhere. Definitely worth the price for me.
So far we've been pleased by most of the varieties we've tried and when I wasn't impressed, I'm sure you all will be able to tell from the review.
Anonymous said…
It's been ages since I had a Klondike. I balk every time I look at the nutrition info. I imagine most of the saturated fat comes from the coconut oil, but still, that's a lot.
That is very true, wyrenth. This is not an every day treat, you need to be sharing these and having them when you've watched what you've eaten the rest of the day. Coconut versus animal fat though, I think the plant saturated fat may be slightly better but I'll ask my doctor next week when I see her.