Have You Heard of Qbel Wafer Rolls?

Have you heard of the candy treat called Qbel?  I hadn't either until I saw a sales ad for it in our local co-op newspaper we get once a month.  For the price in the paper and with my membership discount I knew I could afford to get these and try them for you, Sisters and Brothers.  I found three flavors in our nearby Bloomingfoods which you may remember from previous reviews we've done here.


Let's start with the Milk Chocolate in a blue wrapper.  The wafers inside are actually rolls about 4.5 inches long and easily 0.5 inches in diameter.  One of them was broken and so that let me show you the inside and also gave me the idea to break the other two varieties if they were whole.  As I hope you can see there is a milk chocolate in the center of the rolled layers of wafer.  This has a good milk chocolate scent, a good crunch and a wonderful creamy chocolate flavor.

In the orange wrapper are two Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter wafer rolls.   These have a definite peanut scent when I break them open and a lighter chocolate smell before I did that.  Same size but hopefully you can see the peanut butter inside the roll.  The peanut butter here has a roasted but not burnt taste -- I find that to be a problem in several "natural" peanut butters I've had.  The peanut taste does take a lot from the milk chocolate so make sure you really like peanut butter.

That leaves us with the Dark Chocolate wafer roll in the sort of purplish pink wrapper.  These had the most intense chocolate scent of the three varieties we tried. The wonderfulness of dark chocolate hit my nose as soon as I broke open the wrapper just a bit.  Can you see how dark the chocolate is inside and out?  It has a great bitter chocolate taste that was only tempered by the wafer itself.  My favorite but then you know your Chocolate Priestess prefers the darker Sacred Substance.

Qbel was named after the maker's wife and in honor of her they contain no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.  Also in keeping with the co-op I found them in, they have no high fructose corn syrup but also no hydrogenated oils.  Great tasting and not too bad in terms of nutrition?  Hey I was starting to worry that was getting rare for us to find here on The Chocolate Cult when it came to good price as well for mass produced chocolate treats.  There are allergens to be aware of: milk, soy, flour, barley, peanut oil, coconut oil, and peanuts in one case.

Comments

Mary Bergfeld said…
I have never seen these, but on your recommendation I will seek them out. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary
Thanks, Mary. We'll be reviewing their other products we could find around us in the future -- those are more traditional wafer cookies.
New to me, but only two per package....I would need several at a time. Dark Chocolate for me too.
hehehe, Cheap Ethnic Eats, I think they are offering some control for those of us who are tempted to just eat and eat our Sacred Substance. I had a few bites of each variety myself.