Chocolate Fountain at Golden Corral

-->I don’t know if you’ve seen ads on TV for the buffet placed called Golden Corral recently, Sisters and Brothers.  They have new chocolate fountains in all of the restaurants.  Our server and the manager the last time we went told us that some places got cotton candy machines as well.  Who cares about that?  We want chocolate.  At Golden Corral they call their fountain the "Chocolate Wonderfall" as you can see from their sign.

It is located in their dessert section of the restaurant which is called "The Brass Bell" that also has a bakery to the left on the photo.  If you haven't been to this buffet before they have four basic areas -- a salad bar, a potato/soup/taco bar, the main entree and sidedish bar, and then this area in the photo to the left.


The fountain is larger than most that you can rent for, lets say, your wedding or a party.  Not as large as the floor to ceiling version we say back at a candy shop in 2009 (our first photo intensive post and our first "On the Road" post).  For the space it is in at this buffet, it is perfect.  The restaurant can easily fit the other desserts to the right or left.  I didn't notice anything missing myself from their normal dessert selection.

It tried it out but followed our motto of moderation by using only three of the several items for dipping: small rice crispy treat, marshmallow, and chocolate truffle with colored jimmies on it.  The truffle ws unexpected since the ads and the flyers on the table mentioned the other two along with pineapple (also available) and strawberries (not available).  I really wanted the strawberry but the truffle helped me confirm that the fountain chocolate is actually much darker by comparison but it was soft and difficult to handle.  The rice crispy was my favorite because it really soaked up the fountain chocolate.

I saw kids, teens, adults, older folks, of all sexes, races, and ethnic group at the place use the fountain during the two hours we were there.  I spoke with one of the managers and she said it was very popular.  Their only problem was kids trying to cover soft serve ice cream in cones; when the ice cream falls, they have to turn off the fountain, throw out the chocolate and start all over because it clogs the machine.  DO NOT USE IT ON ICE CREAM CONES!


Over all I was very pleased by their corporate’s decision to put in the fountain.  I couldn’t even remember what it may have replaced if anything.  So if you have a Golden Corral near you, check it out then let us know what you think.

Comments

MerryJohnson said…
I had never seen this in TV.
Got to know many new facts.
Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you learned something new, Mary. I don't know if you have this place near you, we go a few times a year. It is funny but I eat more veggies and fruits on buffets than at other restaurants. Now I can eat a bit more chocolate too I just ours gets strawberries next time I'm there.
I like your collection.And also have some new thing that i know from these about chocolate.
Collection?

I'm not sure I'm understanding your comment so I hope you write back and clarify for me.
OMG you pics are so delicious. May I use them on my website?
I don't have a problem with that if you include the link to this essay on our blog.
Anonymous said…
That can't be sanitary. There are no control measures to prevent people from double dipping, etc. That's is disgusting.
steve hawk said…
The photos are really mouth watery..
Pretty collection.. Knew something ..
Mekayla said…
I have a chocolate fountian and I use regular hurshy for the chocolate of chioce but it never drys liike the goldens do so do you know what type of chocolate they use???
Mekayla, I don't know; I suggest you ask them, they were very nice to me when I asked to talk to a manager about it. It did taste much darker to me than just a regular milk chocolate and darker chocolates will harder faster and firmer.
Anonymous said…
do you happen to know if the fountain is out on weekends
You'd have to ask the individual restaurants, ask me. We visited on a weekend for this review I wrote.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
I was actually at Golden Corral last night with my little niece and nephew...they were definitely abusing the fountain haha. I was searching chocolate fountain rental Philadelphia and got a huge result in which nobody wanted to quote me prices. They all wanted me to sign up for things before I could learn how much it would cost to rent one!
Thanks for commenting, Lana. I've never rented a chocolate fountain myself so I don't have much to offer there. I do though find it annoying when you have to give out more information than a company is willing to share.
Unknown said…
I sat right across the aisle from one last Sat. It looked wonderful! I was going to try it out but I say a few kids with a mouthful of marshmallow s dip their saliva coated treats in there. I had to pass.