Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Balls

Tomorrow we have an interview in honor of National Peanut Butter Fudge Day, but today, because of your votes on our November Calendar article I'm going to reveal the results of my testing making tackling Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge that the majority of voters chose.

I used this recipe found at allrecipes.com as my starting point.

I use more of the raw cocoa we were sent to test since the type of cocoa used was not specified in this recipe. I used some leftover cereal that is too bland for my family's taste on it's own to turn the simple fudge into a candy that I can save and use at our holiday party.

Let's see how this worked out.

Crunchy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Balls
By TammyJo Eckhart, PhD

Ingredients:

2.25 C White Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Zero Cal Sugar Substitute
12 oz Can of Evaporated Milk
1/2 C Raw Cocoa Powder
1 C Creamy Peanut Butter
1 T Margarine
300g Total Cereal

Directions:

1. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Measure out your margarine, peanut butter, and cereal and set these aside within easy reach of your stovetop.



2. Combine sugar, sugar sub, evaporated milk in a large saucepan and start to heat on medium. Add in the cocoa powder a bit at a time.  It will take a bit of work to get the cocoa to combine but only when it has should you turn up the heat.



3.  Raise the heat and stir until you get a rolling boil.  Lower the heat to medium then clip a candy thermometer set to soft boil on the sauce pan. Keep stirring until your thermometer beats at you.  If you don't have a thermometer heat until it reaches the soft boil stage.



4. Turn off the heat and add in the margarine and the peanut butter stirring vigorously until blended.

5. Add in the cereal until it is all coated with the fudgey mixture.

6. Spoon or scoop out balls and place these on the parchment paper on the cookie sheets, forming the balls with your hands if necessary.  Be careful these are hot for a few minutes.

7. Please the cookie sheets in the refrigerator for at least an hour before eating.

This made 38 large balls for me but you can make the balls as large or as small as you like.  Each of the treats I made has 143 calories in it.

Did you like the power of being able to vote on what fun food holiday recipe I might try this month?  Is it something You'd like me to continue to do? I want my readers to feel they can contribute more than just reading and I hope this is one way you can participate even if you are too shy to leave a comment.

Comments