Lighter Chocolatey Banana Nut Bread
by TammyJo Eckhart, PhD
8 oz softened Fat Free Cream Cheese
1/4 C egg substitute
2 tsp vanilla extract
5 T skim milk
1/2 T baking soda
3/4 C Splenda granulated sugar substitute
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 C whole grain flour
3 overripe bananas
6 oz mini chocolate chips
5 oz shelled and broken up walnut pieces
1) Let cream cheese get to room temperature and preheat oven to 350°F. Coat loaf pan with non-stick baking spray or grease and flour the pan.
2)Measure out the rest of your ingredients. Peel and then cut bananas into one inch size chunks.
3) Milk together all the wet ingredients and the cream cheese until evenly blended.
4) Add in bananas, baking soda, sugar substitute, baking powder, and salt. Beat well for at least one minute.
5) Slowly add in flour until the entire mixture is smooth and doughy. Add in more skim milk if it seems too dry to pour easily but only 1 T at a time.
6) Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
7) Pour batter into loaf pan and place in oven for at least 1 hour. Use toothpick method to see if it is done.
8) Remove pan from oven and lay it on its side on a baking rack for 5 minutes before turning out the entire loaf.
There you have it. The finished slices!
I shared this with a few others and we all really liked it. It was very moist but you do need to really like walnuts to like this bread.