How did You Celebrate National Chocolate Milk Day?

Horizon Lowfat Chocolate Milk DHA Omega
Yesterday, July 28th, was National Chocolate Milk Day. 7 years back in 2010, we looked at the individual boxes of chocolate milk from Horizon. This year, as part of the #MyMagazineSharing program through Kroger, I was able to get a half gallon of Horizon's Organic Lowfat Chocolate Milk with DHA Omega-3 for free with one of the coupons MyMagazine sent me for their #OrganicsEveryday campaign in exchange for testing out 7 different products including two that have chocolate in them. Today we're going to look at one of these two chocolatey treats, the milk, and then next week we'll look at some chocolate peanut butter powder in a recipe I'm going to test out. But for now, sit back and pour yourself a glass of chocolate milk in memory of yesterday's fun food holiday and to celebrate life in general.

The first thing I noticed when I poured the glasses was the very light color of the milk. I understand wanting to be lower fat but I've seen skim milk that was darker in color than this one and I didn't note any artificial colors in those brands. You could also cut calories but not adding sugar. Milk has sugars so just add cocoa powder or chocolate mass/liquor and make your chocolate milk. There is no chocolate fragrance from the milk but it does have a very odd sweet scent. The flavor is much like the fragrance -- very little chocolate, creamy, and a weird hard to describe sweet tang that reminded me of slightly burnt caramel. I fear this milk may sit in my refrigerator for a long time before someone in my family drinks more of it. Thank goodness I used the freebie coupon and not merely one of the $1 off coupons to buy this variety.

If this milk sounds yummy to you, you can buy the individual box version from Amazon of you can find the half gallon in Kroger, Target, and many organic grocery stores. For me, I'll stick with the non-added DHA Omega style of Horizon chocolate milk that I've had and loved in the past.


Comments

mavido79 said…
I celebrated with Kroger's own brand of chocolate milk. It's my favorite based on taste. If I want something with more protein and fewer carbs, I go for FairLife brand.
I've had both of those and they are much better than this omega-3 stuff. Of course FairLife is about the same price as Horizon so not something I'd buy very often. Of course, I don't buy chocolate milk that often at all and we can easily turn skim milk into chocolate skim milk at home.

Thanks for commenting, mavido79!