Celebrate National Oreo Day 2018

Unwrapped Milka Oreo Chocolate Candy Bar
National Oreo Day is celebrated every year on March 6 so this year that falls on a Tuesday so in today's Saturday Sacrament we're helping you find other ways  to enjoy Oreos if you want to do more the simply dunk cookies. I got this Milka Oreo Chocolate Candy Bar as a Kroger Friday Freebie a while back and pre-wrote this review for all of you today.  As you can see in the photo to the right, the bar is shaped a bit like a log with six sections. The wrapper looks a lot like the traditional Oreo label on the cookies that have been patented since 1912! The Milka logo is purple and on the upper left hand side. I got this candy bar using my grocery store loyalty card; there was no expectation on the part of Kroger or Milka that I would do this article about them in exchange.

Milka Oreo Chocolate Candy Bar Wrapped
The candy bar is made with cocoa butter (4th listed ingredient), chocolate (7th listed ingredient), and less that 2% of the ingredients are cocoa processed with alkali. Since this is a candy bar the first ingredient is unsurprisingly sugar followed by fractionated palm oil. In terms of allergies there is wheat, milk, hazelnut, soy, and sunflower if any of those are allergens for you or a loved one. The bar stands out fairly well in the candy bar aisle or at the checkout counter since Oreos are generally not found there. Have you seen it in your grocery or mass market stores? Leave a comment and let us know if you have and what you thought about it.

Inside Milka Oreo Chocolate Candy Bar
The bar's light brown cocoa is speckled with chocolate cookie pieces of oreos. Even before breaking the bar open I noticed that the scent reminded me of an Oreo Cookie with the cream a heavy fragrance and the chocolatey cookie secondary. Snapping off or biting one of the six sections makes a soft sound and reveals a white cream with more of the chocolate cookie pieces. Biting into the section makes a loud crunch that continues as I chewed it. The cream is sweet as is the milk chocolate coating but the cookies have that little burst of cocoa that I get from the traditional Oreo itself. This really does taste like someone covered an Oreo in a milk chocolatey candy coating.

Inside Milka Mint Oreo Chocolate Candy Bar
A few months later I got another free Oreo Candy Bar for free via Kroger and Influencer, so this time I chose the second flavor, Mint, to review. As soon as I opened the wrapper there was a strong mint fragrance. This bar looks exactly like the previous until you snap it apart. Inside it is a green color with tiny cookie pieces inside. We've had the mint chocolate Oreos so we know what to expect. The bar was crunchy through every bite, the mint was cooling in my mouth, it is completely reminded me of Mint Oreo Cookies! If I dunked those cookies into milk chocolate candy coating, I would expect this. Odd Note: This bar says it was "Made in Ukraine" while the previous says it was "Made in Belgium".... Weird, huh?

This is exactly what I would expect from such a candy bars. Good job, Milka! However because of all the candy ingredients versus chocolate itself, it CAN'T earn a Sacrament Worthy Status because chocolate is not the most important ingredient, sugar is.

Comments

WriterLisaKaye said…
I've tried the original bar but not the mint flavored yet and found it to be pretty tasty even if it is very sweet (all that sugar). I'd eat it again if it were given to me but not sure it's something I'd seek out.
I know how you feel, Lisa. I'm become far more fond of dark chocolate myself and let's face it, candy bars are more candy that chocolate usually and certainly not dark when even their "dark versions" are barely out of the legal definition of milk chocolate.