Better Sleep with Chocolate?

We cover everything related to chocolate here on The Chocolate Cult. From the basic chocolatey candy to medical and health products to paper made from cocoa leaves and bark. Today I want to share my experience with fx Chocolate's Dream which is a "calming melatonin" dietary sleep aid that uses cocoa nibs and cocoa butter yet looks like a piece of chocolate. I got this sample box of 15 serving via the Amazon Vine group and fx Chocolate in exchange for a review on the Amazon website. This article sharing my test results on this blog is an unexpected bonus for both brands. No other form of compensation was received.


Each square as you can see has this star on it, probably references sleep just as the product name "Dream" references that state. The square is 1 1/8th inch and 3/8 inch thick with 15 calories and no added sugars. I expected it to be dark tasting and yet it was amazingly sweet because of the added allulose, the second of the three ingredients listed; the other two are cocoa nibs and organic cocoa butter. This is definitely not something I'd crave based on the intensity of the sweetness and its aftertaste. I'm actually surprised at the ingredient list. Normally you'd see chocolate mass or chocolate liquor and then cocoa butter; nibs are something else which we've covered a few time on this blog.

While the square of chocolate looks and smell like dark chocolate and cocoa nibs both, inside there are added ingredients of 3 mg melatonin as well as 100 mg of 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) which is a non-scientifically proved mood aid. The box makes a lot of health and dietary claims like vegan, keto, gluten-free, non-gmo, small batch chocolate, and 2X potency tested. Given that pure chocolate would be several of those things and that others are not externally and scientifically proven, I can't place much stock the box's label.

Did the product work? That's difficult to say really. On the nights I tried it I did get to sleep, but I can't say that it was any faster than I normally might or with another melatonin product. I didn't stay asleep for any longer stretched of time.

Comments