York 100 Calorie Peppermint Wafer Bar

Sisters and Brothers, raise your hands if you like the combination of chocolate and mint.

In your Chocolate Priestess's house, even the White Chocolate Acolyte will accept dark chocolate if it is combined with mint. The product that offered my family their primary means of getting mint and chocolate for years and years has been the York Peppermint Pattie. So when I saw the 100 calorie cookie version of this on sale and I had a coupon, I decided to try it. This is one of six 100 calories varieties that Hershey's currently offers since the introduction of the brand in 2006.

This box has 7 servings, each individually wrapped pairs of wafers measuring 3.5 X 0.75 X 0.35 inches. Each of these pairs has 100 calories, 4g sat fat, 10mg sodium, and 9g sugars along with 2% iron an adult needs daily. They also have four common potential allergens: milk, wheat, soy and peanuts. The peanuts surprised me, really surprised since I've never, ever had a York Peppermint Pattie and thought "hey, I taste peanuts". Indeed, the candy does not have this potential allergen in it so I wondered if I'd taste peanuts in this wafer bar.

As you can see, the wafer bars have a cross-hatch pattern on them and are covered in chocolate. Inside I found three layers: chocolate wafer, mint cream, chocolate wafer. While it smells very minty, the chocolate feels rather waxy against my fingers as I pick one up even though chocolate is the very second ingredient listed. Remember the waxiness of a candy or confection can be caused by artificial "chocolate" or simply how the chocolate is created or any additives used to help the product last longer. The cool mint flavor distracts from any waxy flavor though and mixes the cocoa to create a little bar that is almost exactly like the candy.

So if you like the candy, you will probably like these 100 calorie bars. There is something I do want to point out in difficult financial times. By reading the nutritional labels and dividing up larger quantities of the patties, I'm sure you could get 100 calories per serving at a lower cost. Since I can't honestly say the nutritional values of this wafer is all that great, this approach mint be a better one unless you find it on sale and have a coupon.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

I have tried to contact the contest winner, Marca, but haven't yet heard back from her. Marca if you are reading today, please contact me directly.

Comments

Jennette said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennette said…
(Edited to clarify)

Interesting. I'd try it, but with reservations. The packagine reads like a diet food, which never screams, "Delicious" to me.

I notice there are only 40 calories less than in a Peppermint Pattie. And with the singly-packaged original, I'm more likely to eat just one, instead of 2...or 7. I think I'll stay with the Pattie. ;)

Did you like it? I couldn't tell.
*blink* post removed, I wonder why? It was a good comment, Jennette.
There we go, the comment is back.

I did like it because we like the peppermint patties in general but in terms of value, I think I'd stick with the candy unless this was on sale and I had a coupon again.

The trick with the 100 calorie fad for food is always balancing cost with serving size plus I think a concern for the extra packaging required but then the individual patties are all wrapped so lots of packaging there.