Brownie Like Triple Chocolate Mix

A lot of people pride themselves are making everything they eat from scratch.  Your Chocolate Priestess applauds them but frankly she's a busy woman and doesn't always have the time.  I love mixes because I can make them as is, play around with them, and use them in creative ways.   I did just that with this Duncan Hines "Triple Chocolate Chunk" muffin mix that I got on sale with a coupon at my nearby Kroger grocery store.  As the title says and the ingredients list confirms, there are three types or forms of chocolate in this mix: semi-sweet, cocoa, and milk chocolate.  The box also says this is one of six flavors of 100% whole grain mixes the company has created recently.  As you might expect this means there is wheat, milk but also soy in here if those are allergy concerns for  you.

I mixed this up by hand using egg substitute and omega 3 rich, cholesterol free oil.  I just mixed it until it was mostly moist and the clumps of dry ingredients were broken up.  Over mixing for muffins can result in a difference in texture but so can what you do with the mix.  I wanted to use this to make one of several "breakfast breads" I had on the menu one Saturday morning so I knew this would be more bread like as a result of how long it would have to bake and the loaf pan versus the muffin tins.   Directions for this variation were not included so I relied on my years of baking and hints on one of the other mixes, blueberry, to set the initial 45 minutes to bake.  A toothpick revealed this chocolate loaf wasn't done but 4 more minutes was all it took to fully finish it.

After it cooled I tipped it out of the loaf pan and let it cool for about five minutes before cutting it into 10 pieces which isn't perfect since the nutrition facts are for 12 servings.  I just find it difficult to cut into 12 pieces of equal size myself.  Of course what you add to it will determine the real nutritional values but the mix itself has no trans fat and no cholesterol and a total of 36 grams of fiber, 264 grams of sugars, 42 grams of saturated fat, and 36 grams of protein.  If you are exercising portion control, Sisters and Brothers, get out your calculator and add in the amounts you'll be adding with oil and eggs, depending on the type you use.

I think these turned out lovely and the Milk Chocolate Acolyte gave me a thumbs up saying "These tastes like brownies!"  Great!  I made brownies for breakfast and I feel no guilt about it because it's our Saturday indulgence day.  I just made sure that I ate one piece and coupled it with fresh juice and water to start my day off.  That I get to reveal it all to you as well, Sisters and Brothers, is a wonderful bonus for me. As you can see the loaf is chocolate itself and has melting chunks of milk chocolate inside.  I highly recommend you eat it while it is still warm and share it with others who may also give you a thumbs up.

Sisters and Brothers, may you, too, take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

You're so right... I love a homemade cake but sometimes there's nothing like a mix to make it easier. I'm using a boxed white cake later this week--not your thing, no chocolate :)
Suzie Ridler said…
Sometimes mixes really are great. I use a low fat brownie one that is better than any full-fat homemade ones I have made, I have no idea how they do it, it's amazing. Those look great and I am a real sucker for milk chocolate, goes against most foodie sensibilities but I don't care, milk chocolate rocks!
I make non-chocolate foods and drinks all the time in private; I just don't post about that here for obvious reasons.

We here in The Chocolate Cult embrace all forms of chocolate -- white, milk, dark variations. As long as it contains real chocolate, we say go for it with moderation and for a purpose and it is all good.