Chocolate Cough Drops Lacks Medicine


Yes, Sisters and Brothers, your Chocolate Priestess has a cold. You may have had this cold too or seen it around, it has almost all the symptoms of the flu that is going around but it isn't the flu; my doctor tested me to make sure.  Even though I'm ill and that can affect my senses, don't worry, I stock up on revelations and news articles just for weeks like this.  A while back found this product on sale at my local Kroger and I thought "hey, I'll give it at try" and now is a good time to try it.


In a cough drop you want two things.  Something to help control your cough, called an antitussive and something to sooth your soreness called a demulcent.  I'm going to compare this Organix product to the generic store brand of cherry-menthol cough drops we also have in our house. 

First the chocolate drop does indeed taste like cocoa but not so much like mint though that may be a result of my cold.  The cherry-menthol tastes like cherry but it also as a bit of a sting to it as I such on it.  Why?  The cherry has 7.6mg of menthol, the antitusive agent while the chocolate has only 2.5mg.  I do note that I feel like coughing more with the chocolate drop.

However the chocolate drop also has a demulcent agent, pectin, which the cherry does not mention on it's label.  This may be why my throat hurts a bit less enough though I don't think controls my cough as well.  Of course, when I stop coughing or cough less my throat will also have time to heal and naturally stop hurting on its own.

For the chocolate crops the inactive ingredients list two types of cocoa products first, extract and liquor, while the cherry has corn syrup as its first inactive ingredient.  Cherry is merely an artificial flavoring while the chocolate is the real deal.  Looking down the list of organic materials I don't see any grasses or trees I'm allergic to which is a huge concern of mine for organic products.  If your allergies ever take on my dimensions, you'll worry about that too.

In the end I'm going to stick with the cherry because it helps open up my passages better at this moment.  When my cold is better and I can appreciate the taste more and require less menthol, I'll turn to the chocolate cough drops from Organix.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

I would suggest taking one of eache...and chocolate marries well with cherry flavor. You get both tastes and cover both the antitussive and demulcant without overdosing :-) Hope you feel better soon!