Wonka Candy is 31 years old!

Tomorrow will be the 31st anniversary of the release of the film Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory but it is also the 31dt anniversary of The Willy Wonka Candy Company which has been releasing treats drawn from or inspired by the book and film.  So today in honor of that, I want to do a second review of some Wonka chocolate products I found on sale (and with coupons) at my local Kroger back in January 2012.

I bought three bars and one bag from the Wonka Exceptionals line of chocolates.  I've reviewed a few of the bars in the past because I received them as gifts or found them when they first appeared in my local stores back in 2011.  I've chosen other chocolate to review this time but you can find the previous posts by using our "Search" feature along the right hand column.


The first I want to focus on is the 9.5oz bag of Triple Dazzle Caramel Pieces.  These were individually wrapped chocolate with semi-liquid sweet caramel inside that oozed out a bit when I bit them in half.  Each is easily a two bite treat if you slow down and enjoy it.  Made with cocoa butter and chocolate, this also has a lot of added ingredients that you can taste as the sweetness is a bit overwhelming compared to the chocolate itself.  With sugar, corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk, and fructose in it, I'm not surprised by the sweet level.


Next we tried a Fantabulous Fudge Bar which came in a 3.5oz bar. Inside were 10 squares in a bar with some funky swirls on the top I hope you can make out in our photo.  It was very difficult to break and share out, the pieces didn't snap apart very well but it did reveal the thin slices of fudge inside each square.   Again this is real chocolate and cocoa but also a lot of added sweeteners and other ingredients.  It had a very strong vanilla scent over the chocolate fragrance.  The chocolate shell made a soft snap but the inside was very sweet and soft, very strongly vanilla as well.  You know, a lot like fudge should taste so it lived up to the name well.

The Scrumdiddlyumptious Chocolate Bar has quite a name, doesn't it?  This 3.oz bar is marked in uneven sections making it difficult to break into pieces fairly so you can control portions easily.  This has peanuts in it so be wary if you have peanut allergies please but the toffee is not made with almonds. It also has cookie pieces in it which makes it very crunchy.   Primarily this has a light cocoa scent.  The creamy milk chocolate is very creamy and the different crunchy pieces all seemed to blend together well creating a very sweet but cookie flavor.  I wish the cocoa flavor had been dark and less creamy because with the sweetness it was a bit overwhelming and quickly created a sugar rush.

Finally let's look at the Chocolate Waterfall Bar that is also one of the Wonka Exceptionals in a 3.5oz bar.  This is milk chocolate and white chocolate -- indeed it is white chocolate, not some palm oil concoction so it gets a plus for that.  It has 10 easy to break apart sections but that still isn't an easy division since four pieces equal one serving.  Why can't food be packaged in a why that is easily divided into the nutritional units?  The strongest flavor and scent is the creamy white chocolate and I don't particularly like that.  The flavors blend too much and the milk chocolate is mostly lost.  I'd love to have them do a dark with white chocolate version of this because I think the contrast would be much better.

What fun Wonka candy memories do you all have, Sisters and Brothers?

Comments

Ever since the day I walked out of the theatre shaking like a leaf in sheer joy, I have wanted to find Mr. Willy Wonka and go live in his Chocolate Factory. I would work really hard. The closest I have come is a woman who owns a chocolate business in Austin. She's a goddess who has tempted me with her chocolate ways but alas I'm still of the "marital way" and cannot run away to her chocolate factory. I really, really could use a Golden Ticket right about now.
Hey, why not get a job there? Why would that affect your marriage beyond more money and probably discounted chocolate?
Aaaah Wonka, I remember we actually had a tug of war fight in kindergarten using one of their stretchy cnady sticks :D
Fun!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Goodness that might take the love of candy a bit too far!