Recipe: Zebra Cookies with Country Crock

Sometimes I am sent non-chocolate products to test out for all of you and my rule: If I can use it with chocolate, I'll try it. Thus when Country Crock® contacted me about some new recipes they wanted to share in exchange for coupons to get free Country Crock® products, I said "Great!" I used their coupons to get two 15 oz containers of spread -- original and calcium added. I've used the Original Country Crock® before as well as different varieties of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter® but the calcium added one is new to me and my family. Normally I don't use spreads in baking instead of stick butter/butter-like products or even applesauce in place of them. Let's see how the Zebra Chocolate Chips Cookies I made turned out.

Let's check out the Ingredients:
Original Country Crock®
Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt
Granulated Sugar and Dark Brown Sugar
Egg
Vanilla
12 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
12 oz White Chocolate Chips (make sure you check your labels)

What did to be the differences between Country Crock® stick and butters/margarines in cookie making?


1. Country Crock® does not need to be brought to room temperature, you can use it straight from the refrigerator.

2. You still need to beat the Country Crock® and the sugars very well for several minutes to get the mixture light and fluffy.


3. You cut back on the calories depending on what type of butter, margarine, or fruit product you use but I can't say you'll cut a certain amount because I don't know what you normally you.

4. The cookies baked to a golden color more than the butter, margarine, and fruit products I've used for similar cookies.


5. In terms of taste, these are lightly buttery, lots of chocolate, sweetness, and delicious! The Country Crock® is moist enough that I didn't need extra liquid wit my whole wheat flour so that is a big plus for how I bake. It also made fluffy, soft cookies like I love.

Original Country Crock® Spread worked great for making these cookies. I'd have to try a few more recipes to determine how well it works for pies, cakes, or candies but I can say I was greatly pleased by how these turned out.

As the folks at Country Crock say about their recipes on their website: All of these recipes are either made with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter® or Country Crock® – buttery spreads that are made with real, simple ingredients including delicious oils, purified water and a pinch of salt. I may not have followed the recipe 100% because of how I cook and bake for particular health reasons and allergy concerns, but I didn't change enough of the recipe to make this a new one. If you check their website you'll find a lot of other great recipes with or without chocolate... but who wants something without chocolate?

Have you used Country Crock® in your baking? Leave a comment and let us know!

Comments