Celebrate the May Full Moon with Chocolate

Today will be a full moon according to NASA calculation and so in honor of the moon today we are going to look at Moonstruck's Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almond bar. I've heard of Moonstruck before but have not the opportunity to test them and write about them all best this bar was a weekly freebie using my Kroger loyalty card. Sometimes when there serious chocolate as a freebie, I'll do a Sacrament for you all but I'm also planning a separate post late in 2016 to simply showcase the various chocolatey goodies you might be able to get using grocery or shop loyalty cards. No company or individual paid me in anyway for this review today but since it was totally free, and you might be able to find it in your grocery or mass merchandise stores, I wanted to cover it for you all.

The wrapper is blue and white and has an image of the St. Johns Bridge in Oregon under the Moonstruck logo of a man dancing and playing the pipes. The bar inside is very dark so I am not sure if you can see it well in my photo but it has the same image on it as on the wrapper. If you click on the photo you should be able to see the image more clearly. The ingredient list is short -- dark chocolate, soy lecithin, vanilla, almonds, and sea salt. There is a salty scent when I opened the silver foil around the bar as well as a good cocoa scent; if you break it into pieces you can release more of the chocolate fragrance. The bar is labeled 68% cacao so let's see how dark it tastes. The bar is not scored but you can break it relatively easily and it makes a snap sound to it. The bar is 3 oz and measures a touch over 6.5 inches long, 2.75 inches wide, and 0.25 inches thick.

You can see the dry roasted almond pieces from the bar of the bar and inside when I break it up. The bar makes a soft sound when I take a bite, the almond pieces are small and make only a slight crunch with each chew but their flavor and texture is widespread. The flavor is a smooth dark chocolate, not particularly bitter, there is an undercurrent of sweetness that builds up with each bite, a slight almond flavor, and happily a light salty taste. Over salty chocolate is sadly common so I really appreciate the focus on the chocolate itself in this bar versus the added ingredients of almond and salt.




The bar definitely earned Sacrament status for flavor and company ethics. This status is not something I given very often so far in 2016, Sisters and Brothers. Look around your local grocery stores and see if you can find it. It is worth the average $4 I've seen for it. Of course, if you can find it for less, on sale, or with a coupon, you must give it a try! Please leave a comment and let us know what you think.

Comments