Can these Keto Brownies Celebrate National Brownie Day 2022?

Today is National Brownie Day and I am hoping to share the delicious results of a keto brownie mix that actually worked. Did Paulina's Low Carb Brownie – Baking Mix live up to my hopes? Keep reading to find out. When I want brownies I want them to be a few specific things: Thick, fudgy or at least quite chocolatey, sweet but not too sweet so I can still taste that cocoa powder. The ingredient list is shockingly short for this type of product: almond flour, organic cocoa powder, monkfruit/erythritol, butter powder, baking powder, and sea salt. That looks promising, right? Before I get to the reveal, let's get the legals out of the way. I was set a free bag of this mix via the Amazon Vine program in exchange for posting a review of it on that website. This review is a bonus and no other form of compensation was received for writing about my experiences with this product.


The mix is double packed. First inside a resealable bag and then in internal plastic bag. This makes no sense because you use the full amount to make the brownies so you have no reason for a resealable bag and therefore no reason for the internal bag. This is just more trash for the landfills which we do not need. As you can see, the powder is reddish in color. This along with the use of baking powder indicates that it is a Dutch cocoa powder which should result in a more intense chocolate flavor. That's good because almond flour has its own flavor and I want that countered by chocolate!

The ingredients you are are just two: Eggs and Almond "milk." If you don't have those on hand, the results may not be as good. I wasn't paid for this review, so I used what I had on hand (which is not almond anything this household which is shared with a person with tree nut allergies). I really wish brands made it much clearer what ingredients they use before offering products, don't you?

The batter was thin and and did not take up much space in my 8X8 pan as you can see below.

The resulting brownie wasn't much thicker and it was indeed soft as the package warned. It didn't smell like cocoa, it didn't taste like fudgy brownies, and it certainly did not have the texture I was looking for. That said, it also was not overwhelmingly sweet, which is a big problem when a lot of brands use monk fruit and erythritol. In fact, it didn't taste like much to me at all. While a finished 1/16th of the baked brownies only had 60 calories, those were still not worth my spending for this disappointing experience. I could only recommend this if you really love almond flour and milk, but aren't a big fan of chocolate or brownies.


Comments