Is the Powdered Pongo Better for Hazelnut Chocolate Lovers?

Back in 2021, I reviewed a chocolate hazelnut spread called Pongo; here's a link to that post. Today I want to look at another Pongo product, their Cocoa Hazelnut Powder Plus Protein. Yes, I will be comparing it to the jarred version of this product, but this should also be a more versatile product because it is in a powdered form. The first big problem was that it can in a bag. I am not onboard with this trend in using bags for cocoa powder anything because it makes it more difficult to measure out the amount you need. In this case, the bag also would not reseal at all even though I and other members of my family tried to get it to work. Before we get to more details, let's get the legal out of the way. I was sent this bag of Pongo for free via the Amazon Vine program in exchange for sharing my review of it on that site. This article is an unexpected bonus and thus no other form of compensation was received for telling you all about my experience. 

The ingredient list is 10 with allulose first and cocoa powder listed fourth. This explains why the flavor of cocoa is so light compared to the hazelnut and this odd generic flavor that must be the allulose or the milk powder or protein. In the photo to the right you can see how the powder looks in the bag and also how narrow the bag opening is. Note the light color of the powder, suggesting that this is natural not dutched processed though the bag does not say how it was processed. I think this is even lighter in color than cocoa powder which makes sense given the ingredients.

The directions on the bag are to mix 4 T of powder with 2T of water. I did that and the results as you can see were quite thin indeed. It wasn't spreadable at all on bread or anything else mixed like that. It was even thinner than the jarred version of Pongo.


This has added protein but still it is primarily a carb product, it just isn't in sugar. At 120 calories per serving (4 Tablespoons) this may be worth your effort to figure out the right mix of product and and water to get the texture and thickness you like.

Comments