Toot Toot Tootsie Does Easter

The next Easter themed Saturday Sacrament this year is from the folks at Kandy Korner. This is for people who have several people to give treats to who can eat the often chewy and sticky Tootsie candies. There are seven types of candy in this 24.6 ounce bag; we'll only cover the few that use cocoa in them in depth, but I'll list the others as well. A free bag of Tootsie Roll Childs Play Easter Basket Mix was sent to me via the Amazon Vine Program in exchange for my testing it and writing a review on that website. No other form of compensation was received and this article is a bonus for Tootsie, Kandy Korner, and Amazon. 


There are seven types of Tootsie candy in this bag. Three of them – Dots, Fruit Chews, and Tootsie Tarts – do not use anything related to chocolate in them, so we didn't test them for this article. Note that each candy as well as the ingredients and nutritional values are listed on the back of the bag.


The other four types of candy do use cocoa and thus will get a slightly deeper dive. If you look at the above and below photo, notice that the types of candy is not evenly split. That might be a factor in whether or not this would be a good buy for your family.


We'll start with the least "chocolatey" and build up to the most. That means the Tootsie Pops are first. Only two flavors – cherry and grape – were in the bag that I received. I don't know if you might find other flavors in another bag. The dominant scent is the tootsie roll center, not the cherry or grape at all. The flavor of the candy outside is an intense but clearly fake fruit flavor. Even as an adult, I find it difficult to keep an entire pop in my mouth to suck on, but I won't turn into Mister Owl and bite into it because as an adult I realize that isn't good for my teeth and jaw. The fruit flavor blended in with the Tootsie flavor quite well by the time I reached the middle. There were seven of these in the bag.


Tootsie Rolls Midgees are the small ones; only two came in the bag. Their wrapper were pastel and had flowers on them, so fairly Easter-like compared to most of the other candy in the bag. Honestly I thought this was the regular Tootsie roll because this is what one of the pizza place in town adds to their carry out and it is the size I've seen most of my life. Once the candy softened in my mouth, it was more sweet than chocolate tasting, even less chocolatey than the center of the Tootsie Pop was and not as cocoa flavored as the ones from the pizza place. Strange, huh?


The longer ones are probably the Junior size of Tootsie Rolls. These had a lighter color not the normal black, white, and red, but they didn't feel truly Easterlike either. These were slightly easier to chew and had a stronger cocoa flavor, so I'm glad there were 12 of these in the bag.


Finally, I had no idea that the thicker ones were called "snack bars," did you? This was the second most common type of Tootsie candy that I had growing up. These were wrapped in pastel pink, green, or purple and there were a total of eleven in the bag. These are slightly scored into individual bites, one of which broken off on the other end for me. The had the early toughness of the Midgees but the stronger cocoa flavor of the Juniors. 


It you have family that loves the Tootsie line of candy, this could be an excellent choice. If you are quite picky about liking only certain types, you might be better off buying them in more specific packages. For Tootsie, this is exactly what you expect.



Comments