Memories of Nutella

When your Chocolate Priestess lived in Rome for two semesters, one of the foods I discovered was this product called Nutella. Peanut butter was insanely expensive because it had to be imported but Nutella, made of hazelnuts and chocolate was made in Europe and thus very cheap by comparison. This news article about the popularity of this product made me thing of this and I'd like to share a few memories with you, Sisters and Brothers.

When I was in college I wasn't wealthy, so while my scholarships, grants, and one loan covered the university's cost, housing and board as well as transport to and from Italy, I had very little money. I got a job at the university library which enabled me to explore Rome and other areas a bit but most of my breaks were spent alone on campus because I couldn't afford to travel the entire time as most students could.

That's when I discovered Nutella. The university food services were closed and Nutella offered me an affordable form of protein that tasted a bit like chocolate. In fact I ate so much of it that I got tired of it and have only had it once since returning to the USA. Certain members of my family can't eat tree nuts so not having it in the house is generally a wise thing to do.

But I remember enjoying it and I remember how it allowed me to enjoy my fall and spring breaks when I couldn't got traveling all over Europe. Those are fond memories I will always have about Nutella. Thus my personal revelation: Chocolate can be an important part of our lives in ways we didn't expect.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments