Chocolate and Breakfast

While we should always use chocolate in a purposeful way and with moderation, Sisters and Brothers, I also know that many of us simply love chocolate. This love is to be embraced but it is also to be controlled. Let me, your Chocolate priestess, share one way I can get chocolate into my life in a healthy and purposeful way.

I'm sure many of you are aware that to be healthy the human body requires a certain amount of fiber or roughage as I've heard it called. This helps our bodies clean themselves and regulate various functions at an optimal level. Most chocolate itself has very little fiber and even those types that do have fiber generally do not have much compared to the amount of calories or fat or sugar they also contain.

Fiber One bars have a "oats & chocolate" version that I really like. The chocolate flavor is there in each bite, not intense or the type that helps my connect very strongly with the Divine but it does give me a way to curb any cocoa craving I may have in a healthy way. Each bar is 40g and has 140 calories, not much more than many cereal. Each bar also has 1.5g saturated fat and 2.5 other grams of other fats without Trans Fat. It contains 0 cholesterol and 90mg sodium as well as 9g dietary fiber or about 1/3 of what you should consume a day, 10 sugars, and 2 protein. It does contain several allergens so make sure you check the ingredients list.

One or two before I go biking in the mornings gives me a lot of energy as well as covering a good portion of the fiber I need. I don't feel guilty about my chocolate consumption, indeed I feel like I ate it in a helpful form that fits easily into my lifestyle.

Since I eat these 1-3 times a week for breakfast, I tend to buy them in bulk. Big chains such as Sam's offer acceptable prices but they don't take coupons while Target offers a better price and will take coupons when you can find the bigger boxes. I also tend to stock up at my main grocery stores when the product is on sale and I have a coupon. they aren't going to spoil for some time so why not stock up when I can.

If you like cereal bars, give these a look the next time you go to the store. It might help you answer the call to Chocolate as well as offer you some good nutrition.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments