Chocolate Cake at The Irish Lion

The Irish Lion in Bloomington, Indiana, is a well-know pub and restaurant in the college town. Your Chocolate Priestess went there late last night, around 9pm, to meet up with friends to celebrate a birthday. While I don't normally eat desserts during the week, using the Saturday Sacraments as my one day to indulge, I did celebrate by trying the restaurant's "Chocolate Cake". On the menu the cake is described as four layers of important chocolate, walnuts and "sinful" and it also costs almost $7 a slice though it is a large slice. Let's test this description.

First, I counted three layers of cake each divided by a chocolate frosting so what is this fourth layer the menu promised? My guess it that it means the thick chocolate frosting covered with finely chopped walnuts that covered the top and all the way down the side of the slice. It also had a dollop of whipped cream on the top and at the bottom and as I ate it, I found more of the whipped cream under the cake. The walnuts were great, they tasted delightful, a good counter to the bitterness of the chocolate. I don't know where the chocolate is from so I can't verify what is meant by "imported chocolate". The chocolate taste was slightly bitter balanced with a sweetness but not intense which was disappointing to me. The flavor didn't encourage me to linger over each bite nor did even consuming the entire piece result in any decent cocoa buzz. The cake was moist and tasty just not as chocolaty or "sinful" as I was hoping for given the description. 

 So if too much chocolate is a concern for you this is a great treat but if you are looking for a solid cocoa buzz, this will not give you that. And no, Sisters and Brothers, having a half yard of Guinness with it does not count as the cake giving you a buzz, that's the alcohol at work. Your Chocolate Priestess had only water so I could fully experience the Irish Lion's Chocolate Cake. Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments