Too Little Chocolate in Low Priced Eclair Pie

Sisters and Brothers, one of the things that helps curb your Chocolate Priestess's chocolate cravings is the fact that I feel it is my obligation to you all to try a wide variety of various products so that you can make a better choice without spending money. Some days I find good products at a decent cost, sometimes poor treats overpriced, and rarely I find something great for very little money. This is something else.

As I've revealed before, eclairs rarely have a lot of chocolate though the amount can vary greatly from a light spread over the top to the entire pastry being encased in chocolate of some type. The ingredients of the chocolate determine the buzz potential even more than the mere quantity of it. As you can see to the left this little pie, measuring 4 inches across, has five curly lines of chocolate frosting over the top. Cocoa is the 11th ingredient on the list and it comes in the section entitled "contains less than 2% of the following". Clearly this isn't a great choice for chocolate but it was $1 for what is a cute little pie.

Aside from the cocoa itself, the pie could taste good and still be worth that dollar for someone who didn't want a lot of chocolate. Shocking I know but, Sisters and Brothers, such people do exist and we should encourage them to enjoy small quantities of the Sacred Substance. The crust was slightly flaky, about what I'd expect for a buck, and the inside had a very thick and firm cream with a solid vanilla flavor, a flavor the ingredients list informs me is artificial. The resulting taste was just acceptable but a review of the nutrition facts was interesting. The pie has 11g saturated fat or 54% of the adult recommended daily allowance. It also has 400mg sodium, 5g fiber (which surprised me), 23g sugars (I suspected it would have more), 4g protein, 6% calcium and 2% iron you should get each day. The problem then is really the saturated fat because none of the other amounts get above 19% of your daily limits or needs.

Finally, who makes this product was a bit difficult for me to determine so I apologize in advance if the link I'm about to give is incorrect. No city or state is listed as providing this pie that I found in my local Kroger. The title is simply "Old Fashioned Baked Chocolate Eclair Pie" but an inside title is "Table Talk Old Fashioned Eclair Pie 3226". I think this is one of 18 flavors of 4 inch pie made by "Table Talk Pie" company in Worcester Massachusetts. If that is so, then they make two other chocolate varieties: Chocolate Creme and Brownie but neither of these was available at my local Kroger.

So this was a cheap mini-pie that tasted fine. It isn't something I'd serve to guests or even buy again personally. But if you like eclairs more for their creme and you have a craving but only a small amount of money, this might be a good choice for you in very limited quantities. Better, cut it in half like I did and share it to cut down on the saturated fat.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

Unknown said…
Looks so yummy!! Did you buy this mini eclair pie at walmart? If so, which walmart did you buy it at??? Ive only seen apple, blueberry, lemon and pecan :(
Hi, Ashley, thanks for reading and commenting.

No I got this in my local Kroger like I said above in the post.

It wasn't very good but what can you expect for low price, right?
Unknown said…
I've had many of these pies and they are the best pies I've ever tasted. I'm super pissed that they stopped selling these at Wal-Mart. I need to know where I can buy some around Gastonia, NC. I've been craving them for the greater part of a year. Help!!!! Lol
Hi, Drew, thanks for leaving a comment. This post is almost a year old and I haven't seen these pies since but as you could tell from my review I wasn't thrilled by their chocolate content. I don't shop at Wal-mart so I can't say if they carry them anymore. My best advice is to go to the Customer Service desk or office in person and ask about them. Sometimes a grocery store is willing to place a special order for a product they no longer carry if you are willing to buy several of them. Alternatively you can try to find the company that makes them and telephone or email them or even check out their website to see if they have a list of where you can buy their products.

Good Luck!
Unknown said…
My wife loves these pies and our Walmart stopped selling them also. However, to my surprise I found 5 of them for sale at a different store (Santa Maria, Ca) called Foods Co. I purchased 4 of the five in hopes that someone else could try one and hopefully try one and spread the word. I like the lemon ones the best!
Wow this is one of our oldest posts How did you find it, Mike Serpa?
Gasper said…
You can now order these online using Kroger's instacart. The label in instacart shows you are correct with the company name. Do you know if you heat these up?
Hi, Gasper, sorry I didn't see your comment earlier. The notices weren't working... thank goodness our FB followers let us know about it.

I didn't heat it up but I don't see why you couldn't heat it up. Just watch it to make sure the cream and chocolate doesn't leak out or burn.
Unknown said…
I love this pie I found it at my local fresh co this is the first time I seen the chocolate eclair one but me and my hubby have tried lots of the flavors we have seen at out store and we find most of them pretty good and only for $1 they make awsome snacks in our house hold
It's been 10 years so I didn't even know that they still sold these little pies.
Alex said…
I saw them today in the local Safeway flyer for $1.29 so they are still available if anyone was wondering. I have never seen them before today and Googled it and your review was the first one that came up.
Thanks for letting us know you still found them in Safeway, Alex.

I hope you check out our other articles and let us know what you think.