Are Mrs. Freshley's Brownies Worth Your Money?

Your Chocolate Priestess always keeps her eyes open for new products.  Several months ago my local Kroger had a new display of products that seemed very similar to those I grew up with from Dolly Madison and Hostess.  These were Mrs. Freshley's products that come in thirteen different categories and several varieties in each category.  The Milk Chocolate Acolyte loves these, Sisters and Brothers, so I tried a few myself.


The boxes are marked that they is made of 100% recycled paperboard.  Anything that reduces waste and saves land for cacao is good for The Chocolate Cult at least at first glance.  This box of "Fudge Brownies" has 6 brownies of 1.75oz weight and measuring 3 X 1.5 X 0.5 inches.  A single brownie equals one serving containing 210 calories, 4g saturated fat, 120mg sodium, 1g fiber, 19g sugars, 3g protein, 6% iron that an adult needs daily.  Each brownie is wrapped in plastic that you can tear open fairly easily.  The brownie has a thin chocolate frosting and several large chocolate chips on the top though as you'll note in the picture below the amount of chips varies widely from brownie to brownie.  Cocoa is the 6th ingredient listed on the label and much further down the list is chocolate liquor.  No artificial flavors or colors are listed however so that is a good thing.  It has nuts, wheat, soybean oil, and milk for those with allergies concerns.



The brownies are soft and moist but not overly so.  They have a very solid cocoa flavor and remind me a good deal of the Little Debbie variety of brownies.  The amount of chocolate tastes varies a little if you eat a bite with the chips or without.  Frankly, Sisters and Brothers, I can’t say that I taste nuts nor do I feel them as I chew or mush a bite around in my mouth to search for them.  I get the start of a duel buzz from sugar and cocoa after eating one entire brownie.  The softness and the frosting do stick to my mouth and tops of my teeth a bit, much like you’d want a brownie to do.  I find these often on sale in my local Kroger and I’ve seen them in my local Dollar Tree as well.  The end result is that if you can get these on sale or at your dollar store, they are well worth that price and probably a little more.  The Milk Chocolate Acolyte just bought three more types of Mrs Freshley's products last night when we went grocery shopping.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments