"Cacao Reserve" chocolate from Hershey


A few months ago I found these two boxes of "Cacao Reserve" chocolate from Hershey's in the clearance section of my local Kroger which you know is one of my favorite places to look for candies I may have missed.  I saw some reports the product line had been discontinued but just this morning as I'm working on this for you, Sisters and Brothers, I see you can find this product lines at several stores just using the most basic search.  I think you should find them and give them a try.


I tried two varieties, "Milk Chocolate Truffle Crunch" and the "Dark Chocolate Truffle Crunch" -- the first has a blue box and the pieces are wrapped in blue foil; the second has a purple box and purple foil over each piece.   Each piece is o.35oz of chocolate and four of them equal one serving.  The milk chocolate is visibly lighter in color than the dark but, here is my only caution in this review, the dark chocolate is 65% dark not the 70% you need for the health benefits to kick in so each these for a treat or for the taste, do not tell yourself these are healthy.  In comparison, the darker pieces are a bit better than the milk chocolate.  A serving of the darker variety has 20 less calories, half the sodium, 3g more fiber and 5g less sugars plus 1g more protein as well as more vitamins and minerals.

Both taste great.  The chocolate is smooth and cool, the inside provides three textures to explore: hard shell, semi-soft center, and the crunchy "bits".  Chocolate is the first ingredient and there are no artificial flavors though it is unclear if some of the color is artificial.  These taste so rich and are so big individually that I think you can easily control how many you eat at a time or in a day if you take the time to fully experience each one.  To learn more about these two great products you can find them HERE.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

Lia said…
As long as it's chocolates it's good! I love chocolates and I loved your post too. Chocolates have health benefits that we never really thought we're getting from them. So, enjoy your last bite it's really good!
Thanks for reading and commenting, Lia.

We talk a lot about the studies that look at chocolate and health issues. Sadly, the health benefits only really began at 70% cocoa content, nothing less, and in fairly small quantities of 3oz or less a day. I don't want to mislead or misinform my followers or readers on these issues because their bodies, just like their minds and souls, are important to us here in The Chocolate Cult.

Darker is always better but better is not always healthy.
Anonymous said…
I was so pissed when hershey discontinued this wonderful line, I don't think there was one product in the line I didn't love.
I not sure why they stopped making them, hdofu. My guess is that Hershey just is not associated with higher price chocolates and those who buy their products were not willing to pay more thus the product didn't sell as well as they company wanted.