Hanukkah & Chocolate

Hanukkah (or Hanukah or Chanukah), an eight  day Jewish festival, begins tomorrow.   Your Chocolate Priestess has seen a few chocolate related items online that are Hanukkah related especially Hanukkah Gelt or coins made of chocolate but also cookies and cakes decorated to look like Menorahs and Stars of David.  Even though one company told me they were sending The Chocolate Cult something for the holiday, Sisters and Brothers, nothing arrived.  So, for this holiday, I can't speak to the quality of any food or drink made from the Sacred Substance nor can I give you comparisons between different chocolatiers nor can I lay out the nutritional information nor can I comment on price options.

I call out to you to educate me on this festival.

Please, if you celebrate Hanukkah and you use chocolate at any time in those eight days, please leave a comment and tell me about it.  Is it a family tradition or something new you've incorporated?  Does the commercialization of cocoa treats decorated in gold and blue offend you or make you smile?

Please let me know and maybe next year I'll be honored enough to have something to say on the matter first hand in a wonderful full sensory review.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The chocolate coins you find during Hanukkah were used (as far back as my childhood, so we're talking 40 years ago) as the stakes when playing with the dreidel. Some households would also use pennies and other pocket change, but the chocolate was nice because you could eat it afterwards. Not that anyone could, after latkes.

The coins have traditionaly also been horrible to actually eat. It was the cheap, stabilized sort of chocolate that had to travel well. Some would go out of their way to get the coins made in Israel, which I always thought *should* taste better somehow, but didn't.

In the past ten years or so, though, you can find actual chocolate rather than chocolate flavored wax in a bag of coins. But who would give that stuff to kids?
Thanks so much, lantoniou, for commenting and giving me some much needed information. I hope others share their insights as well.