Iowa Chocolate #2

In your Chocolate Priestess's hometown of Vinton, Iowa, there has always been a malt shop along highway 218.  Currently under different ownership and called Leon's Malt Shop, it has been expanded and offers several chocolate items.  While we were recently there, the Milk Chocolate Acolyte, the Chocolate Priestess, and her father tried three of their Cyclones which are soft serve ice cream with mix-ins. Update: Now the same building is called Tootsie's and they have other foods as well.

The Milk Chocolate Acolyte got the Peanut Buttercup Cyclone which he tells me tasted great.  My father got the Oreo Cyclone which he loved as well.  But they aren't me so let's focus on the super chocolaty thing I got.

I asked the young lady behind the counter, "What is your most chocolaty item?"  That is my standard question when I go to a restaurant or shop.  The reason I ask is twofold.  First, I want to review the best for all of you but secondly, it gives those with the greatest knowledge of their products a chance to shine.  Her advice was to not get a standard Cyclone but have one made of chocolate soft serve, hot fudge and Oreo pieces.  I followed her advice and was not disappointed at all.  The fudge was hot and sticky but the ice cream was so cold and creamy it helped the fudge stay in ribbons while the cookies are what you expect.  The result was a product that didn't really cost more than the standard choices so about $4 for a medium which was plenty big enough if I want to stay on the Path of Moderation and Purposefulness.

What is now Leon's Malt Shop used to be owned by my uncle many, many years back.  It was great to see it a malt shop still on that stretch of highway and to see that it is still run well and offering many chocolate choices.  Vinton is a small town but it is the county seat so if you have reason to travel along 218 or need to go into Benton County, check them out.

Sisters and Brothers, may you, too, take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments