Chocolate Jerky? Try Yours with Us on The Chocolate Walk

Storefront House of Jerky
One of the many stops over the past few years at the Brown County Humane Society's Chocolate Walk has been a little place that makes chocolate drizzled jerky just for the event. Considering that over 1200 pieces of this will need to be made and given out that day, this is a big undertaking. Why would any business do this and do it for several years? We asked Dawn Oliver from House of Jerky to tell us why they keep participating in this event.

Thank you, Dawn for talking with us here on The Chocolate Cult today about your participation in the Brown County Humane Society's Annual Chocolate Walk. Would you tell us about your business House of Jerky and your role there?

We sell different types of jerky and it is our own “House of Jerky” product.  The House of Jerky has been in business now for over 22 years.  I am the owner of the Nashville Indiana one.  My physical address is 59 E. Main St, Suite F, but we are located on Old School Way behind the Nashville House restaurant.

One of the great things about this annual event is that it connects to great loves in many people's lives: pets and chocolate. How did you get involved with the Chocolate Walk?

I know Anna and her daughter Morgan and one year she approached me about doing the Chocolate Walk.  It sounded like a lot of fun.  We loved it and have done it now for the past 2 years and looking forward to it again this year.  I love animals and it is for an awesome cause and I know exactly where the money is going.

Inside House of Jerky 1
How long has the House of Jerky been a stop on the Chocolate Walk?

This will be our third year participating in the Chocolate Walk.

Do you have pets of your own and if so, what do you have?

I have a dog, his name is Marley.  He is a Peek-A-Poo Yorkie.  He is spoiled rotten.  Also, our neighbors dog lives with us, she is a Jack Russell, her name is Angel.  We have 9 chickens and 2 white turkeys. 

Do you live chocolate? Do you have a preference for white, milk, or dark chocolate?

Of course I love chocolate!  I like the milk chocolate.

Inside House of Jerky 2
Do you all make the chocolate covered jerky you often have at your shop for the Chocolate Walk?  How did you come up with this idea?

I just do the chocolate drizzled jerky for the walk.  I thought salty and sweet make a good combo.  I’ve had a lot of requests for purchase so I might make some this year to sell.

Have there been any memorable reactions when people try the chocolate drizzled jerky?

No memorable moments.  People really like the combination of the sweet and salty.

Inside House of Jerky 3
Have you had requests for the chocolate drizzle jerky outside of the Chocolate Walk?

I have had them ask if we have any to sell so this year it may be a possibility.

Finally, is there anything you'd like our readers to know about your business that we haven't asked about?

Yes, we know that House of Jerky has the best quality of jerky around.  We get a lot of satisfied and happy customers.  We also get our regulars that tell us that our jerky is all that they buy!  Of course that is always awesome to hear!

Thank you, Dawn, for talking with us today. I'm looking forward to trying this year's chocolate drizzled jerky.

Do you want to join me? You can buy tickets to the November 14, 2015, event here.

Have you had chocolate and jerky together before?

What did you think of it?

Leave us some comments and let us know.

Comments

mavido79 said…
I must be getting old. I don't remember ever getting chocolate drizzled jerky. But then again, I don't like to mix my sweets and salties together so that may be it. But I am looking forward to the Chocolate Walk this year and hope to be bringing some folks from Columbus/North Vernon too.
We definitely got chocolate jerky but the store looked a lot different inside than it currently does. I'm looking forward to seeing the new layout