Help for the New Baker

Wilton Cake Baker's Tools and Parchment Paper Set
I've been making cakes since I was a preteen. My mother seemed to have everything we needed. I thought I had everything that I needed when I was offered the opportunity to check out the Wilton Cake Baker’s Tools and Parchment Paper Set via the Amazon Vine Program. I had been thinking in 2017 that I wanted something to help me make layered cake better and here was my chance to try out a Cake Lifter. I've always used a knife to chop up ingredients but here was a Baker's Blade to test out. I've used Parchment Paper a lot and I've become fond of the individual sheets you can get now but I was willing to try Wilton's version. I've always used toothpick to test of baked goods were done then felt guilty about tossing them so the idea of a washable and reusable Cake Tester was appealing. Wilton expected a review on Amazon as a result of sending this to me to review. They  got their Amazon review but this article for all of you chocolate lovers is a bonus for them. As always, this review is based on my use of the products over several baking episodes. No form of compensation was received in exchange for this blog essay.

I tried all four of the items in this kit -- Baker’s Blade, Cake Lifter, Cake Tester and Parchment Paper. I didn't try them all for one recipe nor with chocolate very time. Let's look at each one of these.

The Baker's Blade is for cutting up ingredients, scooping them up, and lifting them to your bowl or pan. While it has purple, hard plastic sides on the scoop and handle part that material is not over the edge making this a bit difficult to hang on to with the steadiness that you need to chop. The chopping edge isn't especially sharp so I had to use some force when trying to chop up some chocolate. The photo below shows the small dent I made in the chocolate after two strikes when my normal method does as well if not better. That amount of needed force them caused the non-plastic covered edge to dig into my hand. Honestly I have better luck chopping with a very sharp knife. It is dishwasher safe.

Wilton Baker's Blade
The Cake Lifter made moving the cheesecake I created for Cookie for Kids' Cancer charity event earlier this month. The trick is to not put the entire layer you want to move on the lifter, leave a small part off of it so you can then put that part on the surface you are transferring it to and then gently slide the rest of the treat off the lifter. I like the purple hard plastic edge where you hang on to the lifter when you are using it. It is dishwasher safe.

Wilton Cake Lifter
The Cake Test is like a reusable toothpick that you might use to check out your baked goodies, as I'm sure many of you reading this do. Calling it a Cake Tester is marketing; it can be used with all sorts of baked items like the cornbread muffins in the below photo. It is very easy to clean but do that by hand, do not put it into the dishwasher. The cover allows me to safely store this with my baking tools such as my rolling pin and measuring cups without worry that the thin metal of this tester will break or bend.
Wilton Cake Tester
Wilton's own version of Parchment Paper is pretty much like all other rolled parchment paper I have ever used. You have to be careful when creating the piece you need or the result will be too small or two large as you can see in this photo. I did like that the sharp edge is inside the box not on the lid where it is very easy to cut yourself.

Wilton Parchment Paper Roll
If you'd like to check out this Wilton Cake Baker's Tools and Parchment Paper Set, please do so using our links to it. When you do so you help support not only The Chocolate Cult but also our founder so she and we can continue to bring you interesting and useful articles.

Comments