Does Lärabar Have Enough Chocolate Chips?

We use chocolate chips in a variety of ways -- as ingredients for cookies, candy, frostings, cake, even as snacks. They have become a common ingredient in breakfast, protein, fiber, diet, and snack bars. I'm sure that many of you have heard of or even tried Larabar products because they can be found almost everywhere in the USA from huge multi-state grocery chains to tiny natural food shops. I got this bar as a freebie bar of Lärabar Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough with my Kroger loyalty card and thought it would be good to share my experience with all of you. Neither Kroger nor Lärabar asked for this feature article so obviously no form of compensation was received in exchange for it. As always this is my experiences and opinions based upon them.

The first thing I notice about the bar is that it does indeed look doughy but it also looks dark as though it were a chocolate chocolate chip dough. It has a very doughy scent as well as a chocolate chip fragrance that surprises because we've had pleasure and horror from so many meal, protein, and snack bars. The label lists Cashews as the number one ingredient followed by dates and then semisweet chocolate chips made only with unsweetened chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, and vanilla. That's real chocolate, folks! The final ingredient is sea salt. A total of seven ingredients in all. The label also claims it is Non-GMO, Fair Trade, Gluten Free, Vegan, Dairy Free, and Kosher if any of that matters to you but back to the bar. The first bite is soft and the nuts are so finely chopped there is no crunch. It has a cocoay flavor to it and I'm pleased that the date taste isn't very strong. I'm not getting a strong chocolate flavor however and I'm not really feeling any chocolate chips so I take a very close look at the bar. I find some smaller than mini chocolate chips and dig one out to try on it's own; it tastes wonderful. This bar needs more of these tiny chocolate chips to really fulfill the name promise. It doesn't taste bad but at 210 calories, I want it to live up to the taste I expect from the name, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

Comments

Nancy Loring said…
I have seen these bars in a few different stores but I had never tried one. Thank you for your opinion of it. I am a chocolate lover but I realize that healthy eating is so important so to get both in one is always a plus for me and I am sure that I would want more chips too.