Celebrate National Honey Month with Chocolate

Today starts September and September is National Honey Month. To help us kick off the celebration of these sweet food we're going to look at this product, Superfood Honey with Cacao, that combines raw honey with raw cacao into one un unpasteurized spread. This photo is what this product looked like after I microwaved it for two 30 second rounds and then stirred it after both rounds. We'll get to why I had to do that in a few paragraphs. I received this 500g (1.1 pound) jar of Beekeeper's Naturals Superfood Honey with Cacao for free through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for a fair and honest review on the Amazon website; this article is an unexpected bonus for both the program and the brand.

For such a large jar, the ingredients and nutritional information is very small and challenging to read. 1 tablespoon is 60 calories, 100% sugar, of course. The ingredients are simply raw wildflower honey and organic cacao powder.


This is a Canadian product as you can see from the maple leaf on the seal.


Now let's talk about why I put this in the microwave at all. This is what the product looked like when I opened it. If you use honey you might recognized how it has hardened. Is this a problem with the manufacture, the shipping conditions, the storage before it was shipped? I kept it where I keep honey and it generally takes a year for these types of problems to develop. We need to eat honey more often around my house!


Why does this matter? It makes it very difficult to get the product out of the jar first and then to spread it on something. Now, I used toast and while that was warm, the spread started to melt. That gave me the idea to try the microwave.


I found this to be incredibly sweet so I added chocolate spread to it. But perhaps you love super sweet and that won't be a problem for you.

Comments