Review: The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell

It has been a while since I reviewed a TV show for you all but given that it is October and that this is a new series, it seems like a good time to look at The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell on Netflix. My husband brought it to my attention so we've been watching it together. How many of you have seen it?

What is this show? It is part puppet horror show, part cooking and crafting show. Target audience? I'm not completely sure but given some of the humor I can't say it is for children. Christine H. McConnell is a social network celebrity who has been known for making "creepy" creations  both edible and not, so this is an outgrowth of that fame. It is created by Henson Alternative, The Jim Henson Company, and Wilshire Studios.



It is darkly funny and about average level acting but lots of fun to watch with my hubby.

Let's look at how much chocolate is in each episode.

Episode #1 "Snacks for Strays" had two types of chocolatey treats -- the bones were covered with white chocolate while the cake mansion's bulk was chocolate cakes.

Episode #2 "Gifts of Nosy Neighbors" had two types of chocolatey treats -- jars of hot cocoa with chocolate coated candy canes and creepy eye chocolate chips cookies for a gift basket.

Episode #3 "The Dinner Date" had only one type of chocolatey treats -- Wolf Claw Donuts with chocolate "hair,"

Episode #4 "A Spirited Tea Party" had one type of chocolatey treats -- edible Gothic chocolate tea service set of cups and dishes.

Episode #5 "A Cake for Rose" had one type of chocolatey treat -- the birthday cake had 4 types of cake but one of them was chocolate and the cake also used modeling chocolate as well.

Episode #6 "Halloween Tricks and Treats" the final episode of the first season of this show had one type of chocolatey treat -- had maybe one type of chocolatey treat -- do chocolate covered raisins really count?

So who else has watched this show?

What did you think of it?

I think from a Chocolate Cult perspective, there needed to be more chocolate!

Comments

Bethany said…
I loved this show every bit as much as I thought I would. ❤ The quirky retro/goth aesthetic, the playfully dark tone and storytelling, and the tips. I didn't watch and think to myself 'oh yeah I can totally build a three story victorian gingerbread haunted house now too' but a lot of the finer details about baked goods decorating, gift basket compiling, etc. are genuinely helpful tips.

As for family-friendliness, I think it depends on the family and kids in question. My 12-year-old niece loved the show too but my 10-year-old niece just wasn't interested.

I think the target audience is the venn diagram center of people who are into maker culture, retro/pinup style, Tim Burton-esque whimsy, and the storytelling vibe of Muppet Treasure Island... and maybe people who dig just a sprinkling of Hitchcockian homages for garnish.
Thank you for commenting, Bethany!

I agree that little kids aren't the target audience but probably tweens and definitely teens and above are especially if they like the maker and crafter culture as you say.

I wonder if they'll make a second season?