2 Types of Lärabars

Today I'm going to look at two types of bars from Lärabar -- a Nut and Seed bar and an Original version. I got both of these bars as Freebies using my Kroger Loyalty Card. My nearby huge Kroger has a lot of Lärabars that you can buy there but when they are freebies, the choices tend to be more limited. I made sure I had not cover either of these bars before when I picked them out. I did it the same why you could look up information on our site by using the "Looking for Something Specific? Search this Blog!" feature you can find on the right hand column. Neither Kroger nor Lärabar were not expecting any type of article or review when they gave the Loyalty Card freebies out, so nor form of compensation was offered or received.

Let's compare the bars nutritionally first.

Nut and Seed Crunchy Bar Dark Chocolate Almond has 200 calories per bar. This is made up from 15g total fat, 4.5g saturated fat, 13g total carbs, 4g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 5g protein. It has 6% of the daily recommended amount of both Calcium and Iron for an adult according to FDA standards.

Lärabar Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip has 210 calories per bar. This is made up from 12g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 23g total carbs, 3g dietary fiber, 17g sugars (including 4g added sugars), 5g protein. It has 4% Potassium and 8% of the daily recommended amount of Iron for an adult according to FDA standards.

You can decide for yourself which bar is best for you nutritionally.

Let's look at the differences visually between the bars.


While the Nut and Seed bar looks bigger is it not in terms of the weight which would explain the slightly higher calorie count for the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip original bar. The Nut and Seed is 1.24 ounces or 35 grams; the other bar is 1.6 ounces or 45 grams.

How do they taste?

Since the Nut and Seed bar has coconut I asked one of our Acolytes to do the review.

Your Chocolate Priestess tried the Original Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip bar. The first thing that I notice is that it looks like a lot of the natural or healthy bars -- it looks like an unbaked slab. Given that when I tried this I was still in the midst of my orthodontic work that promise of softness was great for me; unfortunately it is harder than it looks. I could still easily bite a piece off but it was certainly firmer than I had imagined. The bar has a very strong peanut butter fragrance to it and the primary flavor is a roasted peanut one. I can kind of see the chocolate chips (semi-sweet according to the label) but I'm just not tasting them. I was expecting this bar to be overwhelmingly sweet but oddly it is not. It actually good tasting but it is not chocolate enough for what the label says nor what we expect here on The Chocolate Cult.

Comments