Chocolate In and Near Cincinnati

One day was not enough to fully explore Cincinnati but I had one day early in September and a friend who recently moved back to the city who was willing to be tour guide so I took advantage of it. I went easy on my search for chocolatey treats to not bore my friend or lover but I did still find some.  Ready to see what I found?

Zablong
We left early to find parking (which is more than reasonably compared to what Pittsburgh was) and then looked around downtown Cincinnati specifically the Fountain Square area. So many wonderful murals have been painted on walls all over the city but I also ran across Zablong which appeared to be a pizza joint even though their sign proclaimed they had more than pizza and highlighted salad and fudge... fudge? We had to stop in and see what they had. The owner happened to be there and he told me that they made everything right there in the store including the fudge. It was delicious by the way.

I Love Cincinnati Shop
We went into a tourist center on the Fountain Square but they had neither postcards (boo) nor chocolate. They told us where to get postcards nearby and there I also found these buckeyes where are the state candy if Ohio has a state candy. I grew up eating buckeyes in Iowa but I knew they were more associated with Ohio. Basically they are rounds of peanut butter 80% covered with chocolate. These are by Masha's which is an Ohio brand. They tasted example like I expected plus you can buy then single, this three pack or even in larger quantities.

Add caption
Post a disappointing lunch at a diner in the Carew Building, we went to find a cupcake shop in the same building we had seem signage for: Abby' Girl Sweets. You can go into the bakery which features traditional cupcakes and individual cheesecake cupcakes. I got two chocolate ones -- Triple Chocolate and Classic Chocolate -- as well as two others for my lover. We shared them and all were great tasting even after a couple of days because Moderation is one of our mottos here on The Chocolate Cult. Order more to save money.

Sweet Dream Candy Co.
We went across the river to nearby Newport to their aquarium and discovered a nearby candy shop called Sweet Dreams Candy Co. We were in the aquarium for a couple of hours but I saw the candy folks selling cotton candy inside of it. When we finished with the fish and related marine life we went to the candy company where I discovered that they are actually owned by the aquarium. They had a lot of variety but I focused on their in-house fine chocolates which were reasonably priced. I picked five dark chocolate pieces and loved them all!

Graeter's Ice Cream Shop
Finally we ended our day with my friend by going out for ice cream at an Ohio favorite, Graeter's. Back on the Square I'd seen this brand but their store was shut for remodeling so I was thrilled to see this one in Mariemont a village near Cincinnati close to where we had dinner. The server behind the misunderstood me when I asked about three chocolate flavors then asked for two scoops because he gave me three... oh, well, I had to suffer to report on this for you all, right? I was so hot from the humidity outside that I ate half of them before I remembered to take this photo for you all. Sorry but it was delicious.

If I go back to Cincinnati again I want to check for more chocolatey treats so if you know of any, leave a comment and tell me please.

Comments