Is It a Butterfinger Day?

Improved recipe Butterfinger 2019
Back in 2014, the Twitter account of Butterfinger candy bar announced a new fund food holiday called Butterfinger Day... which they then claimed was a joke. As your Chocolate Priestess pointed out in a comment, if enough folks agreed, it would become fact. While Butterfinger barely qualifies to be covered here on The Chocolate Cult (less than 2% of the ingredients are cacao related) it does have some. So today, let's check out the brand's new "Improved Recipe" that they released back in February of 2019. I got this bar for free through my Kroger loyalty card; not other form of compensation was received for this unexpected review on our blog today.

First thing to note -- this candy bar weights 1.9 ounce making it larger than most candy bars that still come in around 1.5 ounces. The calorie count is also larger than average for candy bars at 250 per bar. While this does have peanuts and some tiny amount of cocoa, it is really sugars, sugars, sugars in various forms. It also has milk and soy ingredients if those are allergens for you.


So how is has this candy bar changed? I did some research because label itself does not highlight any adjustments in the recipe. I has a different type of peanut butter, more cocoa (still not enough to bring it above the 2% marker), and milk has been added to that cocoa.

Improved Butterfinger 2019 Broken Open
As soon as I broke this bar in half I got that super sweet scent that I associate with Butterfinger. It is still crunchy and sticky but not as sticky though it still sticks to you teeth more and more as you chew so braces or retainer wearers be aware of this issue. In terms of flavor it is less sweet, has more roasted peanut taste, but honestly I still find the chocolatey coating weak.

Is it an improvement?

You tell me in a comment!

Comments

Sidhechaos said…
I had one about a month and a half ago, it did seem more peanutty than they used to be. I cant eat a whole one in sitting, I usually eat half and the other half a couple days later. One of the few candy bars I like.
Thanks for reading and commenting, Sidhechaos. The chocolate is a small part of this bar so the brand may well have decreased it but I don't have an older bar to compare it to check that out.