Add Chocolate for National Shortbread Day

Monday, January 6, 2020, will be National Shortbread Day so in honor I'm sharing the results of a shortbread recipe I tried out and then added chocolate topping to months back. At the time I had never made shortbread so I picked the recipe because of the simplicity as well as my previous experience using Taste of Home recipes. I turned to Taste of Home website and found a "Buttery 3-Ingredient Shortbread Cookies" recipe that I tried out using Land O Lakes European Style Super Premium Butter. I got a coupon for a free 2 stick box of the butter from Land O Lakes in the hopes that I'd try using it and sharing the results with all of you. No other form of compensation was received in exchange for this honest account of how I used their product.

One of the reasons I picked this butter was because it was unsalted as called for in the recipe but also my menfolk love the European shortbreads better than other types and this was a dessert gift for them.


I had to substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour because that's what I had on hand and frankly it is healthier for us. I know, that seems funny with cookies but every little bit helps.


Two tricks I figured out. One was from the recipe -- cut when they are warm but I cut them immediately after taking them from the oven.


40 minutes later while the bottom was still warm, I recut along the same lines. The cookies had cooled and rejoined slightly so this broke them up without breaking them to pieces. Then I put half in another pan and broken each set of 8 into separate cookies to finish cooling.


Once completely cooled I covered one pan with plastic wrap and then foil as well. The other I used for my chocolate experiment. Hey, this is The Chocolate Cult, I had to add chocolate some way.

I melt some Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chunks (I was sent these for free to experiment with) until they were smooth. I poured the chocolate over the cookies slowly to cover the tops and drip a bit down the sides of the cookie. Then I let that completely cool before I covered that pan with plastic wrap and foil.


We ate them the next day and my family loved them!

Comments