Are these Better Bars?

Bob's Better Bar -- Peanut Butter, Chocolate, Oats
There was one type of this Bob's Better Bar that had chocolate it when I went to our local Fresh Thyme. Unfortunately the coupons to get two free bars came right after our community started promoting social distancing so things were a bit weird in the grocery store. Luckily the staff helped me find the bars quickly so I could get in and out with two Peanut Butter Chocolate & Oats bars. I received two coupons for free bars of Bolt's Red Mill Bob's Better Bar; not a freebie coupon plus a two dollar off coupon.  No other form of compensation was received in exchange for sharing my experience.

Opened Bob's Better PB, Chocolate, Oats Bar
The first thing I notice about the bar is how much it looks like other natural snack bars I've tried in the past. Very dark in color, a sort of unbaked or uncooked look to it, and lots of visible oats. Second, I noticed that the scent is strongly peanut butter; I get no cocoa or chocolate even though it has real chocolate chips (made with chocolate liquor and cocoa butter) and cocoa (processed with alkali) in it. The bar is soft but not too soft, the oats and the other ingredients all stick together well so there are no crumbs but it is easy to bit into and chew. As I chewed, I noticed that the flavor of the bar changes; the chocolate comes out more strongly than the peanut butter and the oats stayed subtle not becoming dominant as often happens in this all natural bars.

One bar has 220 calories so this is a good option for breakfast or a snack, though it does have a lot of sugars compared to fiber and protein in my opinion; obviously it has fats, chocolate unless it is only cocoa powder has a fats but they tend to be good ones. If you are concerned about allergens this has oats and peanuts as well as chocolate. The wrapper says the bars are non-GMO but also gluten free yet whole grain... I guess oats count as whole grains, too. Interestingly, I also see rosemary extract on the ingredient list, too, and I wonder how that flavor is enhancing things because I couldn't pick it out if asked.

I did like these bars, the flavors were more balanced than similar products we've tested here on The Chocolate Cult but I still wanted more chocolate flavor.

Comments