Adding Chocolate To Blueberries

Today is National Blueberry Day!

Blueberries are everywhere in my local stores and in the farmers' markets near me so it is easy to celebrate with fresh fruit. So here are some ideas on how to add some chocolate to you fruity treats featuring blueberries.

-------------------

Muddied Blueberries
Muddied Blueberries

For every 2-3 ounces of fresh blueberries, mix in 5 g cocoa powder, and 10 g whipped cream.

Wash the berries (if you like, I do) then let them thoroughly dry.

Remove any stems that still are attached to your berries.

Top with the cocoa powder and cream.

Gently blend the ingredients together to make sure the cocoa powder is worked through the cream and it coats the blueberries.

Serve while it is still chilled.

Depending on the ingredients, this quick easy treat may be under 200 calories, too!

Slightly more calories but even more simple is just adding chocolate chips to you blueberries and cream. How many calories difference between this and the above idea will depend on the type of chips you use. I love to use semi-sweet or dark mini-chips because for the same serving size, I get more individual pieces of chocolate. This bowl you see was about 210 calories so not much different from the cocoa powder but I think it had more intense chocolate flavor in each bite.

I'd love to read about your ideas of how you add chocolate to your blueberries and blueberry baked goods so leave me a comment and let me know.

Comments