Local Baker Cakes for Charities

Today I want to introduce you all to a woman who is making a difference in the lives of so many people in Bloomington, Indiana, but doing what she has talent and experience doing: Making lovely cakes. Thank you, Dev, for answering our questions today.

Did you grow up with a love for baking?

I grew up with parents that spent most of their days at work, so the only baking I really did as a kid was from a box. When I went away to college, I started regularly baking things for punk shows in my basement. 

How did you get into the baking industry?

I lost my job at a research center, and ended up getting a job at Rainbow Bakery right when a change over in ownership occurred. I had baked for fun on the side for most of my adult life thus far, and a friend of mine got a job there right before the center I worked at closed its doors. 

Previously you worked for Rainbow Bakery in Bloomington, Indiana, but the pandemic damaged that business as it did so many small businesses, and you lost that position, is that correct?

Not quite. I actually quit working at Rainbow because I got a new job, doing administrative logistic work remote for a company back in my home state. Before covid really hit, I was planning to move back east, so changing jobs made sense, but my priorities have definitely changed now. My last day at Rainbow was actually two days before they shut down and most states got put on lockdown. It's a very weird feeling to know I got lucky to have job security, while friends who still work in the service industry haven't been as lucky and have to risk their health almost daily in order to survive. 

Dev, you are offering these lovely cakes for folks here in Bloomington and asking only for donations to local charities in return. How long have you been doing this on mountain dev

I've been offering cakes for donations since about April of this year. A little under 5 months now. 

mountain dev Vegan Dirt Cup Cake

Why did you decide to turn your baking into a charity supporting service versus just selling cakes?

I've always done bake sales for different things since I was 18. I was a part of the DIY punk scene at my university, and would regularly sell cookies and hold food drives at the shows I helped promote. 

Given the current economic fallout from the pandemic, how are you managing to find the ingredients you need for your baking?

I buy all of the flour I use from Janie's Mill, an Illinois based organic farm. I find it pretty easy to find sugar in the grocery stores and most other baking ingredients at this time. For super niche things, I'll sometime look online and buy things from Thrive Market. 

Do you think that after there is a safe and effective vaccine (one-time or annual) that you will continue your charity support baking, go back to working for a bakery, start up your own bakery, or a combination of these possibilities?

I don't really plan on ever opening up my own business, as I learned working in a bakery that I didn't really love the act of selling a thing that I have such passion for. As long as I still have a job that pays me a livable wage, I don't think I'd ever really want to charge for my baked goods for my own monetary gain. I'd like to hold workshops to teach other people how to bake or decorate, because my main joy is showing someone else that most people can do this work. It's a skill you can learn and if you're not good at it at first, there are techniques you can always figure out. Baking is a really great skill set because once you learn the science of how things work, you can tweak recipes ever so slightly to work for you. 

Let's change the topic a little bit and get more into the cakes. Of the two sizes of cakes you are offering, six and eight inches, which has been your most popular?

I think the 6" is more popular, mainly because a lot of people aren't dining together right now because of social distancing. 

Are your cakes single or multiple layers?

They are typically two layers of cake, but on cakes that I maybe feel like being a bit more extravagant on, I will sometimes do three or four. 

How many cakes are you taking commissions for in an average week?

I am typically taking 2 to 3 cakes a week, but I try to keep my limit at about 4. I also try to steer them towards the weekend as much as possible, as I have a full time 9 to 5. 

You make vegan cakes, correct? What is the most challenging aspect of making a vegan cake?

I do! I've honestly been making vegan cakes for so long, just out of sheer inability of having certain ingredients, that I don't find them very challenging! Emulsifying the wet ingredients together and making sure you don't have many lumps, and you're good to go!


Of course, this is The Chocolate Cult, so we have to ask some questions related to chocolate. Since cocoa and chocolate are not grown locally and you primarily use local ingredients, do you make chocolate cakes or chocolate frosting and decorations for your cakes? [I can see in your photos that you make chocolate cakes but a reader may wait to check out your website until after they see this answer.]

I do make chocolate cakes and work with chocolate frostings! I typically try to buy dark chocolate that is vegan friendly or allergen friendly chocolate. I worked on a chocolate "dirt cake" for a friend this past summer that was chocolate cake, chocolate pudding, chocolate frosting, crushed oreos, and some gummy worms as garnish. I actually had to make two of this cake since my pudding wasn't set enough at first, so I got to have a slice for myself and it was great. 

mountain dev Vegan German Chocolate Cake

What are the most common flavor requests you have been getting for cakes since starting the mountain dev website?

I'm lucky enough that people trust me to create flavors that suit them! Typically, people want fruity cakes with florals (like lemon lavender or blueberry chamomile), which is something I love and just want to do more of! I try to make cakes with fruit from local farmers, so I try to stay as "in season" as possible. 

Finally, if you had the power to make any cake at all, what type would you make?

My birthday is soon, so I might make this cake for myself! But I really want to make an elderflower cake w/ plum jam, and toasted italian meringue frosting. I'm excited to experiment with more meringue things this fall for decorations, as fresh flowers will be out of season soon and I'll have to figure out different ways to decorate!

Thank you, Dev, for talking with me today. Everyone reading, go check out The mountain dev website if you live in Bloomington, Indiana, or know someone who does. Help support this wonderful way to engage the support of local charities and get a wonderful cake, too. Note: dev is currently only taking new orders starting in October 7th so if you have an idea, mark that on your calendar and get in line.

Comments