The Brownie Baking Test

 For some reason, throughout this 2020 pandemic summer, I was sent alternative flours and sweeteners to test. In what? I wasn't baking when it was humid and hot! I stored up those ingredients and now as it is cooling off I'm going to start baking and testing them. While I was sent the various ingredients I'm be using to conduct this series of browning baking articles, I was not given any money or other form of compensation for sharing my honest opinions based on my experience with those ingredients.

To do so, I'm going to use a recipe I've loved in the past from this cookbook which I got back in 1993. The recipe is "HERSHEY'S Best Brownies" (page 79) and it uses Hershey's cocoa powder which I have plenty of on hand. I also have plenty of margarine (in this case because it is less expensive than butter) and all the other ingredients like egg whites, salt, baking powder, flours, and sugars.


First I made the brownies as directed using my regular sugar and flour. These are the results. The brownie had a slightly crispy top, a reddish tinge to it, and was about 1 inch thick. It tasted sweet and buttery with a clear cocoa flavor as well. It did not dry out the mouth when you tried it. Even my family member who isn't a fan of cocoa powder, liked this. Why not, it is mostly sugar and eggs, right?


Next I tried several different types of flours and sweetners that I'd been sent. Each time I only substituted a single gredient out. I'll post about the results later on.

Who is eager to learn more about how flour and sweetener affect brownies?

Comments

WriterLisaKaye said…
I love brownies so I'm really looking forward to this.
I love brownies, too. I often have them for my birthday instead of the traditional cake.