Brownie Test Alternative Sweetener #2

Splenda Allulose Containers
I have tested and written about Splenda brand products before on this blog. I've even hosted a few tasting parties for the company. Today I'm going to try their new Allulose zero calorie sweetener using the same Hershey's brownie recipe. I was sent two different containers of this to try but the product inside is identical so I'm going to cover it all in this one post. The 12 ounce bag of Splenda Allulose is not enough of the 1-to-1 sweetener to make this brownie recipe so it it all plus four ounces from the canister of the same product which is 19 ounces. I'm really not sure why the brand packaged it in these two different ways. I was sent both containers via the Vine program for free in exchange for a fair and honest review based on my experience with it; no other form of compensation was received.

Splenda is always so easy to use so I had high hopes going into this test. As with previous non-cane sugar sweeteners, this one showed bubbling on the top of the brownies and slight burning around the edges. Does that mean the temp needs to be lowered or that the amount of time needs to be increased? These types of products really need to be explicit about any adjustments you need to make when using them. Saying something is a 1-to-1 substitution for sugar makes the user believe that the baking instructions should remind the same. Not having that information on the canister or the bag is a failure on Splenda's part. Of course, how did these taste and what was the texture like? 

Let's show the original brownie using the same recipe first.

Basic Hershey's Brownie

Now this is the Allulose substituted for can sugar brownies using the same recipe.

Allulose Brownie

As you can see, the Allulose brownie ws a bit denser which should have made it more fudgy tasting; it was. While it tasted more like cocoa than the Pereg sweetener I tested in October, it was still not as chocolatey as the basic brownie so I'm not pleased. This is not a substitution I would make in future brownies but I might try it in cookies where the amount of sugar you use is not so great.

The canister seemed a lot less wasteful to me because the sweetener took up all the space and the container was very easy to seal after I used some of it. I recommend getting the Splenda Allulose in the 19 ounce container unless you have a container that you use just for zero calories sweetener.

Comments