Will Your Steak Taste like Cocoa?

We cover anything with chocolate in it here on The Chocolate Cult as long as I can find someone who I think is capable of being objective and fair and who will follow the procedures I've established. I've a handful of coffee folks helping me out because I can't stand even the smell of coffee. So when I was offered the Flavor Seed Cocoa Butt'er Chocolate Coffee Rub I knew that I would need to hand it over. This was a bit of a challenge in a pandemic but our Mocha Acolyte came through and we set up a hand-off of the product for her and her hubby to test out. As you'll see below they tried it with steaks. As always, her words will be in italics and my will be in regular font. This product was sent to me for free via the Amazon Vine program in exchange for a fair and honest review on that site; this article is an unexpected bonus for them; no other form of compensation was received.

When I hand it off to our Mocha Acolyte she looked at the ingredients and remarked on how clear the list was. So many rubs are full of chemicals and added unnecessary ingredients that she was eager to try this one out. Let's look at that ingredient list: salt, organic brown sugar, organic cocoa powder, organic ground coffee, organic cayenne, organic red pepper. So based on this list, wouldn't you expect that it would have a sweet brown sugar flavor, followed by the cocoa, the coffee, and then the heat of the other two spices? Let's find out if it did.

Rub- strong coffee smell and a salty dark earthy taste. There was a bit of the cocoa scent, too, but not as strong as the coffee


Our Mocha Acolyte applied it to two steaks and as you can see in the photo below. she did not skimp on the rub at all.


Cooked Steak- indistinguishable coffee/ chocolate taste. If you got a bite with a heavier rub, more espresso taste. Or, a toasted cafe mocha. Smooth rub texture and not as grainy as other rubs. Mild, dark earthy taste. Both if us liked it.


I'm disappointed to learn that the cocoa flavor wasn't more powerful but since she likes coffee, I'm glad she was happy with it.

Comments