Essential Fondue For Chocolate Fondue Day

February 5th, next Friday, will be National Chocolate Fondue Day!

Okay, I love fondue because I find it to be fun way to share a meal with 1-3 other people. More than four folks trying to use our fondue pot is difficult but it is too much fondue for me or often two of us to eat. I different courses of fondue but since this is The Chocolate Cult it shouldn't be a surprise that I love the dessert fondue options the best. Fondue can be tricky though and after one particularly horrible chocolate fondue disaster, I've turned to using recipes. So when the folks at Rockridge Press offered me the essential Fondue Cookbook by Erin Harris, I decided to check it out and then share it with you all. 

Cover of Essential Fondue Cookbook

There are five types of fondue related recipes in this cookbook: Cheese, Fondue Bourguignonne, Fondue Hot Pot, Dessert Fondue, and Dippers and Sauces. I'm going to just be blunt and say that I don't find the final chapter with 25 recipes to be what I want from a fondue cookbooks especially when some of them are about making your own breads and cookies to go with the fondue. I want to enjoy fondue because it is something we can make together and then eat, I'm not interested in added steps to the process when I can easily go buy things to dip into the fondue.

1st Two Contents Pages of Essential Fondue Cookbook

It isn't surprising that the only recipes with chocolate of any type are in the Dessert Fondue chapter but I was surprised that only 5 of 12 recipes fall into that subcategory. Five types of chocolate fondue is more than I usually find in a cookbook, but I was hoping for more.

I do like the overall variety of recipes in this cookbook. The size (6.5 X 6.5 inch square) makes it both stand out on my cookbook rack but also can make it disappear at the same time if I forget that it is smaller than most of my other cookbooks. 

If you have used this cookbook yourself, I've love to read your thoughts about it. 

If you haven't used this cookbook, I'd still love to read your thoughts about whether or not you would have a use for such a fondu specific book in your collection.

Comments