Honey + Cocoa = Truffle Bar

Honey Mama's Peruvian Raw Cocoa Truffle Bar

Sometimes companies send us products to test out and write about on The Chocolate Cult. Sometimes we get products from variou review sites. One such site that I am personally a member of is call Social Nature. Whenever I get a product that has some part of the cocoa bean or cocoa tree in it, I share it here on this blog. Today I want to share Honey Mama's Cocoa Truffle Bar. Their bars comes in a lot of flavor but unfortunately they also include that I would need help testing out to fair to the brand and to you, our readers. I was sent two coupons (one for a free product and one for buy one, get one free) in exchange for reviewing this product on Social Nature and for sharing about it on my social media feeds; no other form of compensation was received for sharing my honest experience with you all.

If I look on Honey Mama's website I see 10 varieties of their paleo truffle bars. However, in my local Fresh Thyme, the only place in my town that has these bars, only four varieties were available -- the coffee and coconut varieties are not something that I can fairly test out and with the pandemic is currently too difficult to get them to our normal examiners. The selection was disappointing because there are at least three varieties that I could have fairly tested on my own. So we just got the Peruvian Raw variety. Just a word about this term "raw," it does not apply to all of the ingredients, for example, the cocoa powder is listed as organic not raw nor it could it be raw because of how cocoa beans must be processed; the raw is really about the honey.

The bars look a lot like many health bars and organic treat bars that we've covered on this blog in over the past decade. A bit doughy much like an unbaked cookie or bar might. It is NOT a chocolate bar, this is cocoa with almonds and honey along with sea salt and coconut oil. The primary fragrance is really the honey and almonds, the cocoa is barely there when I take in several big whiffs after unwrapping it. Each bar is really three servings so it is good that the sections are easy to break apart. If you ate the entire thing, it would be 360 calories but one section is just 120. The bar is soft but the small pieces of almonds do crunch a bit. The immediate flavor is intense honey followed by strong cocoa and almonds. I do like it but there is an aftertaste that is odd so I recommend not letting the flavor linger in your mouth too long.

The other sections can be wrapped up and put back in the refrigerator. The need to refrigerate it is one of the big downsides to this product and I do not understand why it must be kept in the frig at all. For the quality of and intensity of the cocoa, this gets Sacramental status but it isn't really chocolate just made with cocoa. It isn't cheap ($4.99 a bar) but if you eat only one section, it will last you three snacks, three desserts, or three meals which makes it fairly afforable.

Comments