Citrus Chocolate Pancakes

While I'm waiting for my new gas range to be installed (I'm about ready to pull out my spiral curls over this), I was able to use a free-standing cooktop to test out a pancake mix. 

Let me start by saying that my entire household liked these pancakes but we had very different opinions about what they tasted like. I thought they tasted very buttery and citrus with the chocolate a lagging third flavor; neither of the other family members got citrus at all however.

I had two major problems with this product. First, the lack of clear instructions specifically related to the amount of water to use. There are four servings of the mix and the directions say to mix it with 2/3 of the sachet of water.... so basically you dump out the mix and then fill that plastic bag with water. However, the bags/sachets are not marked for 2/3 and I discovered that they leaked out of the bottom. I ended basing the amount of water partly on what I know pancake batter should look and feel like.

Second, while this is promoted as an eco-friendly brand it sent me mixed messages. The box and the first bag that all of the individually wrapped sachets are in are certainly recyclable or even will break down in nature, they are just paper. However the sachets were plastic and not the recyclable kind.

A minor issue I had is that the amount of butter and oil you use (yes, you use both) for each set of four pancakes (one sachet of the mix) is a lot so if you are worried about fat or cholesterol be careful.

Comments