Brave Robot Ice Cream?

When I think ice cream, I would not think robots and yet a couple of months ago I had a free product coupon on my Kroger Loyalty card for a free pint of of a new brand of ice cream called Brave Robot. I picked "A Lot of Chocolate" obviously. What makes this product stand out are two major claims on the container: Lactose Free and Animal Free. I've heard of vegan and dairy free but using "Animal Free" is a new label claim for me. The brand name, Brave Robot, really doesn't make me think of food or beverages at all. Do you think about items you can eat or drink when you hear or see that name? If the brand won't make you think of frozen treats, they need folks like The Chocolate Cult to test them out and let the rest of you know about them as we are about to do. Other than the digital coupon for the free item, no other form of compensation was received and the brand has no idea we are writing about them today.

Let's look at the nutritional information first.

Compared to a similar amount of frozen treats from other brands, this is about the same for the non-lower calories types. Compared to brands that use dairy and sometimes eggs, this has less calories and fats. The chocolateness of this comes first from alkalized cocoa and then chocolate according to the ingredient label that I didn't take a photo but which you can find here. There is a lot of sugars here, just so you know. I know that most of you won't care much about ingredient unless you have allergies, in this case, Milk Protein, Soy, Wheat, are listed.

The frozen product inside the bright colored container had a strong cocoa scent when I peeled back the paper. I could see swirls and pieces inside the fairly dark product. I let it warm up a bit to make it easier to get out of the container and then took a spoonsful. It had an immediate intense cocoa flavor. The swirls were sweeter tasting, like a thick syrup, the little pieces of chocolate were dark in flavor. Yet, I was not perfectly happy because there was this coffee-like essence I kept getting yet no coffee on the ingredients. Could that taste be my body processing the carob bean gum? I am not a fan of carob in general when cocoa is already vegan by its very nature as a fruit.

If you check the link that I provide above, you, too, can find a way to try out this product for free. Once you have, or tried another flavor, I want you to come back and leave a comment about your experience with this brand.

Comments