Cadbury Royal Dark

In honor of the birthday of John Cadbury, the founder of the Cadbury company which makes a lot of chocolate and candy, let's look at the Cadbury Royal Dark Chocolate Bar. I got a free 3.5 ounce bar of this via a special sale at CVS at the end of spring 2021 but neither brand know I'm doing this article for you all today.

This is really a candy bar not a chocolate bar as the package claims. The first ingredient is sugar, not chocolate liquor or mass (or cocoa/cacao mass/liquor). The full bar has 3.5 servings or 490 per bar. You can break it up easily into the individual 18 squares though sadly when I broke them apart, they didn't make a sound at all. When I opened the wrapper, I got a strong slightly darker chocolate fragrance immediately. 

Chewing one section, I found that the chocolate was sweeter than I expected but also very smooth and creamy. If this is dark, it isn't particularly dark, maybe 50% at most or the sugar used is quite sweet. The creamy taste and texture may come from the milk fats that have been added; at least it isn't palm oil, that's a huge plus for us here on The Chocolate Cult. Letting another bite melt in my mouth decreased the initial chocolate and sweet flavor and blended them together with only the darker edge coming out as it melted more and more on my tongue. It took minutes to fully melt but it wasn't as pleasant as just chewing it slowly was.

John Cadbury's birthday was August 12, 1801, so you have five days to go out and find your own Royal Dark Chocolate Bar or another Cadbury product to mark the date with. Who is celebrating with me? Let me know if you are and which Cadbury product you will be enjoying in his memory in a comment below.

Comments