Bite Sized Organic Brownies

Wednesday, December 8th, will be National Chocolate Brownie Day! In preparation for that day, I'm going to tell you about a brownie mix I received and show off a new mini-brownie pan I bought months back. I had to wait months until the temperature was low enough to be baking season. I got lucky and that was during my birthday week back in September. The mix has two types of powdered cocoa: regular and processed with alkali. Of course the first ingredient is sugar but these are brownies, I'd expect nothing less. I got the three bags of Birch Benders Organic Ultimate Fudge Brownie Mix for free via the Amazon Vine program to test out and review on that website. Today's Chocolate Cult review is unexpected bonus for the brand; no other form of compensation was received for sharing my experiences with these mixes today.

Birch Benders Trio Brownie Mixes
The directions on the mix are easy to understand because they use both written and graphic forms. The fact that the mix is supposed to make 16 servings works well with my new brownie pan because that makes 24 so I'll see if there is enough batter for the entire pan or if I'm making even smaller that single serving sized brownies. Let's be honest, it is so easy to cut pieces that are far bigger than one serving with brownies (or cake) or almost any other baked chocolate good.

I got my pans through a Pampered Chef party for a local charity fundraiser. I had to double check what temperature and time worked with that pan, so I checked their website. I turned down the temp by 25°F and decreased the time to 16-18 minutes.  The mix made a lot of batter and I was worried about overflowing the mini-brownie pan sections so I got out another pan from Pampered Chef but as you can see in the below photo it seemed like I had over prepped sections of that pan. However when the brownies were finished, I realized I had filled the mini-sections too high because these rose more than some brownies do. Let's see how that worked with the mix.

As they baked, the brownies released a lot of cocoa fragrance into my kitchen and home. I used the toothpick method to test for doneness. The mini-brownies were too thick and took 21 minutes to cook; the individual brownies in the other pan took 18 minutes to cook. After I set the pans out to cool, the brownies fell out of the pan easily but I could also remove them with a silicone mini-spatula easily as well.


How did they taste? Super sweet. I find that is a problem with many organic mixes; too sweet because organic sugars tend to be more intense so you really don't need to use as much. I'm sure the two types of cocoa powder were an attempt to counter that sweetness, but the cocoa flavor paled in comparison. That can be fixed by adding in more cocoa powder or a chocolatey addition however, when you buy a mix, you don't want to have to add anything extra.

Comments