Show Me Your Chocolate Advent Calendar 2021

Advent calendars are a fairly recent creation, dating back to the early 19th century with German Protestants. Chocolate Advent calendars may have begun in the late 1950s but only started to become popular in the early 1970s when big candy industry players like Cadbury started to put them out and price them so that more people could afford them. That makes a lot of sense given the history of chocolate among Europeans and their descendants where the wealthier had chocolate first, it was often associated with religious meaning, and then it started to become more affordable for the masses and BAMP popularity!  

Today you can find chocolate Advent calendars that range the truly cheap and horrible to the lavish and expensive. You can get good chocolate Advent calendars at a moderate price, but most often these are one-time use like the Lindt RSVP calendar I was sent in 2011.


We use two fabric Advent calendars. One I got from the Lindt RSVP program in 2012. This year I got a bag of mixed mint chocolate candies to put in it for my hubby to enjoy every day. The Lindt fabric calendar has pockets in a lot of different sizes so I can use a bit more variety but generally the treats need to be fairly small. Hershey's kisses work, but I also used individually wrapped York snowflakes and Kit Kats for him this year.




The other I bought from Target last year because with the pandemic lockdown in our community, I wanted to do something extra for myself. The pockets are mine are even flatter and all the same size so I've found that those individual chocolate squares tend to work best. I got Ghirardelli dark mix this year, you can see the top of each little black wrapper sticking out of the top of each pocket if you look closely. As you can see from our photos, these are also decorations in the house, the first we put up, in fact.




I'm curious. How many of you enjoy a chocolate Advent calendar in December? Do you buy a one-use variety, reused a fabric, or perhaps even have a fancy wood or porcelain one that you can tuck treats into? I've love to hear your stories, so please leave a comment or even share a photo on the social media site where you saw this article shared.

-----------

Sources Consulted for this Article:

"A short history of the Advent calendar"

"The history of Advent calendars"

"A brief history of Advent calendars in the UK"

"The Advent calendar's sweet history"

Comments